Thin Profile Frame

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
AimHigh

Thin Profile Frame

#1 Post by AimHigh »

I like to get some recommendations on replacement dbl hung all vinyl windows ( low E/Argon) that have a thinner profile frame to maximize the glass area and give my windows a new construction look. I've seen the Excalibur and its frame is 2.5 in wide vs the common 3.0-3.5 in wide frame. But I've seen conflicting comments regarding the quality of this window..such a structural rigidity. Are there other manufactures/styles that are have this type of profile and are of high quality.

thanks

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

Check out the Milgard Style Line, and basically any fiberglass window (Marvin, Milgard, Pella, FiberFrame, Thermotech, etc.), if those are an option.

AimHigh

#3 Post by AimHigh »

Thanks for the tip....

utoo

#4 Post by utoo »

The Milgard styleline window is single hung only. You may want to rethink your criteria. A good double hung window needs lots of frame material to support both the sash and overall frame.

InfoSponge

#5 Post by InfoSponge »

utoo is correct and the Style Line is single hung only. I didn't take that part of your post into account. That said, the fiberglass windows are still a good option, if a thin frame and paintability are more important than getting the lower cost of vinyl.

AimHigh

#6 Post by AimHigh »

I'm not opposed to single hung per se if its a good quality window. I've been told that most SH windows are builder's grade ( its what I have now). I found that United Windows has a 2 - 5/8" wide jam frame but I havent seen them or heard much about their quality. Fiberglass may be out of my price range..trying to stay between $400-500 installed. Paintability is not a factor

thanks for the update

JScott

#7 Post by JScott »

I have a double hung tilt styleline? Whats it worth as it seems to be rare.

AimHigh

#8 Post by AimHigh »

Thanks but apparently they only come now in Single Hung.

Door&WindowPlus

#9 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Milgards new window lines are coming out soon. Does anyone know if both lines will carry a double hung? I will see the lines July 31st in Simi Valley, CA.

JScott

#10 Post by JScott »

Thanks AimHigh. The model does seem to have vanished.