Windows & French Doors

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jeffzy

Windows & French Doors

#1 Post by jeffzy »

I created the same post on www.replacement-windows.com and have yet to recieve a response. Hopefully I'll get a response here.

I have decided on replacing my windows with Double Pane, LowE and Argon filled Simonton 5500 windows with the SuperSpacer upgrade. Is there any other option I should include? I live in the NorthEast. I also read in another post that they can be ordered with the nail fin attached for new construction. Since I am replacing my sheathing and siding, my contractor suggested I go with the new construction option instead of the replacement windows. Any opinion on that?

I am also replacing an old vinyl Anderson sliding glass door with a wood interior w/vinyl or aluminum clad exterior French door. I have recieved prices for the pella 850 series $2972, Jeld-Wen w/Auralast $2587 and Anderson 400 series $3183. These are all inswing with LowE, grills in between glass with a Bug screen. Without the bug screen they are all about $400-$500 less. Is there any reson not to go with any of these manufacturers or with the wood interior in general? I am concerned about warping and swelling. Thanks

fhi windows

#2 Post by fhi windows »

Jeff, I have a door/window/deck company and have installed for a little over ten years. On my own home I have a Pella door at one end of my house and an Andersen at the other. Both are good doors so you should have luck with either one.

Make sure that the doors are installed square of you will have problems down the road. The Pella screen will not work if the door is out of square.

Notice I did not have anything to say about the 3rd company.

Stay away from cheap vinyl doors. There are some good triple pane vinyl doors on the market if you want a really energy efficient door.

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

Jeff,
Pella has just updated their double French Doors. I've just updated the local Lowes stores with the new door displays (I do some service work and help the local Pella Rep here). Hopefully you were able to see the new door display verses the old. The new doors are one of the best I've seen or installed in years. I would personally put the Pella in my house in a heartbeat if I needed one.

Your contractor's given you great advice. Removing the old windows and siding, then wrapping the house with a water-resistive sheathing, is the best way to go. The total replacement method of windows with nail fins doesn't get any better. By doing it this way your getting the ultimate application possible. If your new products are installed properly, you'll be getting the most energy efficient change possible when it comes to window replacements.

One thing I want to stress to you more than anything!! Upon completion of your exterior products, please make sure you have your local gas company come out and check your furnace & hot water heaters ventilation (if they run on gas). When you make a change in your home like this you'll change the air flow in the house. By altering the air flow it's possible to have the CO2 from these two appliances vent back into the home under certain conditions. So please take the time to have them looked at for your own safety! This isn't something that happens often, but there's a slight chance it could. So better safe than sorry! Good Luck!!!

jeffzy

Windows & French doors

#4 Post by jeffzy »

I appreciate the both of you respoding to my questions. I viewed the Pella doors and was very impressed on how sturdy they felt. I also viewed the Anderson doors and have heard many good things about how sturdy they are, but finish of the doors did not seem quite as well as the pella doors. I hope I get this right, where the top and bottom rail meet with the stile on the Anderson doors, I could see adhesive that had oozed out on the exterior. I don't see that as being acceptable for such an expensive door. The pella doors I've heard some people that are incredibly happy and some not. Another forum, I read a few comments where people stated that their pella french doors had numerous quality issues and had to be repaired. What exactly that meant, they did not say.

Also, I appreciate the info about the air flow in response to the changes I will be making. I will make sure I look into that suggestion. I will post my decision and pictures of the french door and windows after they get installed.

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

In defense of Andersen, or any manufacturer in that case, oozing sealant in areas is really not a big issue. It can be easily trimmed away and cleaned up. My theory on this is I can actually see there is sealant in the joint or corner where two items converge. One of the biggest issues manufacturers face today is water & air infiltration. Having an abundance of sealant in the areas prone to failure is good. I do agree that it looks bad and could have been in the factory before shipping. Don't let that get in the way of your decision on the door you want because almost every manufacturer will occasionally have this problem.

The bad reports you've heard about on Pella is really from past product failure. I know Pella has spent a lot of time changing design flaws and updating items such as their French Doors. Their newly designed doors have only been out on the market for a short time. We've only installed them recently over the past few months here. I can honestly say they are the best pair of doors I've seen and installed from any manufacturer. French styled doors are always one of the hardest installs we face today. They require patience and experience in order to get them fully functional and air tight. Even us old dogs have trouble with these installs from time to time. Good Luck in your venture!!!