Schuco question in CT

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jent

Schuco question in CT

#1 Post by jent »

I had 23 DH's replaced with Schuco triple panes about a month ago. When I went around to clean all of them I noticed that in 3 sashes, the glass was cracked (the upper and lower of the same window and the upper of another). We called our installer, he had them remade and came back to replace them - no problem. Now, a week later, I notice another upper sash with a crack in the glass. What's going on?? Is this common/uncommon? Could it be the heat outside and the a/c on inside? Thanks in advance for your insight and help.

Jimboramma

#2 Post by Jimboramma »

Who's your installer? I live in CT and have my Schuco's being installed this weekend. I've never heard that problem discussed on this board and wonder if it could have something to do with the installation.

jent

#3 Post by jent »

Handyman Plus out of Berlin. I was wondering the same thing, too

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

It's more than likely a quality control issue with the manufacturer. If the glass cutting equipment is not properly maintained it can leave an unequal scoring on the surface of glass before it is snapped. Any imperfection remaining at the cut glass edge will promote the likelyhood of a stress fracture. It's either this or you have a mischievous teenager with a new BB gun.

jent

#5 Post by jent »

Thanks, FenEx. That makes me feel better. I was hoping it wasn't an installation issue b/c I did a TON of research before we chose this guy. And it makes sense too because the new crack in the 4th sash started at about 4 inches when I noticed it and it's now about 16 inches. Thanks again and have a great day!

Jimboramma

#6 Post by Jimboramma »

I've hired the same installer and they are coming out Saturday morning to install 18 DH, a sliding patio door, and a picture window. The're hoping to finish before the thunderstorms come into the area in the afternoon, but it will be close.

So far, I'm very happy with the way the process has gone and he's been great to work with. I'm looking forward to getting them installed and from everything I've researched, this is the best installer in my area.

Jent, Can you tell me anything about your installation? Were you happy with how it went? Any issues? How long did it take them? Thanks.

Jimboramma

#7 Post by Jimboramma »

I've hired the same installer and they are coming out Saturday morning to install 18 DH, a sliding patio door, and a picture window. The're hoping to finish before the thunderstorms come into the area in the afternoon, but it will be close.

So far, I'm very happy with the way the process has gone and he's been great to work with. I'm looking forward to getting them installed and from everything I've researched, this is the best installer in my area.

Jent, Can you tell me anything about your installation? Were you happy with how it went? Any issues? How long did it take them? Thanks.

jent

#8 Post by jent »

Jimboramma,
I think there were 5 guys, maybe 4. They got to the house at 8:30 and were gone by 12:30-1:00 (22 double hungs and 1 picture window). We were impressed. Everything was neat and clean and they were very orderly and courteous. They also replaced some molding around the garage windows that was a little rotten. No other issues, until I started noticing the cracks, and Frank was great about getting them ordered that same day. All in all, we were very pleased.

Jimboramma

#9 Post by Jimboramma »

jent,
That's incredible. Frank told me they'd finish the windows quickly, so I guess he wasn't kidding. Our picture window has wood rot, so they'll be gutting it and replacing all the wood to ensure it's properly supported. That part will take the longest. Our sliding patio door will also take some time, but it sounds like the windows will be all done that day. If they can get the slider and picture window in before the storms come we should be okay. Otherwise, it should be pretty interesting.

jent

#10 Post by jent »

Good luck! I am sure you will be happy. :D