Home Depot vs. contractor

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
happ44

Home Depot vs. contractor

#1 Post by happ44 »

I am in the process of getting vinyl replacement windows. I have had estimates from the following with different types of windows. I have done research and seems that Home Depot had the best window. Does anyone know about the others??

Lowe's = Reliabilt windows
Home Depot = Simonton Windows
Contrator = Dove Windows

Any help will be a great help

The U Factor

#2 Post by The U Factor »

Define best window.

Best product?

Best value?

where did you do your research?

happ44

#3 Post by happ44 »

I am looking for a good product that is not going to break the bank. The estimate from Lowe's was $8600, which was good, but I am not certain about Reliabilt windows. I can not find any info on them. Home Depot was $11000, but their windows was ranked #1 according to JD Powers. The Contrators window Dove I can't any info on that window either.

usmarine0352

#4 Post by usmarine0352 »

Usually the words Home Depot and "Best Windows" aren't in the same sentence.

It's like saying, McDonald's and "Best Burgers".

What kind of quality do you expect for $140 or so a window? Shoes cost less then that.

And don't forget, installation is 80% of the battle.

Even the best window, installed improperly will be a waste.

happ44

#5 Post by happ44 »

I understand that even the "best" window installed incorrectly is worthless. My question is based on those 3 windows and the companies associated with them, what is the best value.....from what I am hearing is that even though Home Depot is offering what seems to be the best window, does not mean they are the best installers

Henry5

#6 Post by Henry5 »

Dove does make a nice window. What series were you quoted on? The 2000 or the Proformax?

happ44

#7 Post by happ44 »

Pro-tec

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#8 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

If you saw the chain of command at HD you might think twice about doing business with them. If everything isn't perfect the day of the install, it will be days before you can get some one that is responsible for correcting mistakes, and if their Simonton window is ranked #1 and it is in the upper middle of Simontons line up what does that make the top of the line Simontons sold by area Simonton dealers. A little shopping will get you a better window for less $$$. Big box stores should be able to compete but they don't, and better values are available from your local window dealers.

Henry5

#9 Post by Henry5 »

There Pro-Tec is there Mechanical Fastened Line in the Double Hung Series. There casement and Awning windows are considered the Pro-Tech Line but are Welded. I definitely wouldn't go with there Pro-Tec Double Hungs....

Guy

#10 Post by Guy »

Happ44, The Simonton window that's made for HD is a good window, if you get the best one they offer. I'm not up to date on what HD offers but they used to have a Good, Better, Best choice for their customers. This is the same deal Sears used to offer their customers also, because they're pretty much the same windows from Simonton, for both Sears & Home Depot. I thought I heard HD was going to only offer their "Best" window to customers without any choice. Although I'm not sure if they're doing that or not. If you only get one choice of window your probably getting their best one. I'd tell you to jump on it if I knew you were getting a quality installation. Home Depot has burned so many bridges with their quality installers I'm not sure they even have many worthy ones that will work for them. That's the only concern I'd have.

The Lowes Reliabilt window is an exclusively branded window made to their specifications by certain manufacturers. Just as HD has their window made by Simonton, Lowes has theirs made by a couple different manufacturers. In the Northern part of the US the Reliabilt window is made by Jeld-Wen. I'm not sure who makes the windows in the other parts of the Nation. You'll have to ask your salesman who the manufacturer is. Installation can be hit or miss with Lowes. The Dove window I'm not familiar with. So I can't offer any opinion.

One of the good things about the big box stores is they'll stand behind their work until your satisfied (in most cases). You can also feel comfortable enough to know they'll be around for a long time. You just have to have a lot of time & patience to deal with them. You could also look into local vendors who supply products to Lowes. They usually won't be advertised in the stores but they deal with small local manufacturers in each area they have stores. Some of these smaller manufacturers make better products than the big name ones you see on the shelf. You'll have to ask about them in order to find out. Good Luck!!!

FenEx

#11 Post by FenEx »

happ44 wrote:I am looking for a good product that is not going to break the bank. The estimate from Lowe's was $8600, which was good, but I am not certain about Reliabilt windows. I can not find any info on them. Home Depot was $11000, but their windows was ranked #1 according to JD Powers. The Contrators window Dove I can't any info on that window either.
If JD Powers rated the HD Simonton window #1 then they should be disregarded as a valuable source. It is a decent upper, mid-grade product. It is not top tier in performance, efficiency, options or aesthetics... let alone all of the above to make it worthy of #1.

JScott

#12 Post by JScott »

There all fine windows. Plastic and glass, they should all be about the same. Buy the lowest cost one. That way if it only lasts 10 years you can a more advanced one that is sure to out perform the one you buy today. If the window today is 300% more efficient than in 1973 what will be available in 2017?