Sound insulation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mackdiddy

Sound insulation

#1 Post by mackdiddy »

Hello everyone. Had a question hopefully an expert around here might be able to answer.

I recently purchased and installed some large windows (Reflections by Simonton 5500 Double Hung). They were replacements to old (circa 1950) single pane windows. I mainly got them to ward off outside street traffic noise, but I've been a little disappointed with the results.

While the main noise itself seems to be lessed, it seems like now there is a sort of whirring reverberation that starts well before a car is approaching and does not leave until well after the car leaves. Its actually perhaps a more annoying sound than the louder noise that existing with my old windows.

Does anyone have any idea of what I'm talking about? Is this typical? Was this because I should have chosen a different window? Is this perhaps an installation problem? Is there any thing that can be done about it now?

Any advise or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JScott

#2 Post by JScott »

If you had storm windows before then I have an explanation. Basically sound waves cause "noise" or sound through vibrations. Sound control is gained when two materials are away from each other or a thicker glass or laminate glass is used to minimize the vibrations.

If you had a storm and single pane window the distance between the two glasses afforded you more sound reduction than an insulated glass unit with the two panes closer together. This would explain why the noise/sound is now worse.

Did you consult anyone before changing your windows?