Replacing windows, keep the storms?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gretchen

Replacing windows, keep the storms?

#1 Post by gretchen »

We're currently getting quotes for windows to replace our original (1954) windows, but is there any reason to keep the storm windows?

ppj

#2 Post by ppj »

Not if you have a quality energy efficient window put in.

Storms would be unnecessary then.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

No, but there are reasons not to keep the storms. Vinyl windows should not be used with storms windows. It traps too much heat and can reach the heat of deformation for vinyl and cause problems for your new window. Ditch the storms.

DerbyDad03

#4 Post by DerbyDad03 »

Another reason not to keep the storms is the one of the main reasons I'm replacing my windows - as soon as I decide what to buy (see my earlier post about Simonton vs. Reliabilt)

Besides the need to reglaze, repaint and recaulk most of the wooden windows in my house, the triple-track aluminum storms are a real pain to deal with during AC season. It is such a hassle to raise the storms and lower the screens when the weather switches from AC-needed to cool-breeze-wanted that we've begun to use the AC (set at 72) when it's 68 outside!

We just went through a period where it was hot and humid during the day yet cool and breezy at night. Who wants to struggle with a dozen or so storms before going to bed and then once again upon waking up?

I so look forward to just be able to open the bottom pane when we want fresh air.

gretchen

#5 Post by gretchen »

Thanks! I'm all for ditching the storms, but my husband (who would seal up every window with fiberglas insulation if he thought it would save money/energy! and if he didn't have a wife to stop him...) wondered if we'd get better energy savings with them. Good to know (for me) it could even damage our fresh investment! :)

I too long to be able to open the windows on those early spring days -- I'm in Maine, and we seal our windows with silicone caulk and plastic wrap all winter, so we have to wait until we're sure it won't get cold again to throw (peel, scrape, shove) the windows open!

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

gretchen wrote:Thanks! I'm all for ditching the storms, but my husband (who would seal up every window with fiberglas insulation if he thought it would save money/energy! and if he didn't have a wife to stop him...) wondered if we'd get better energy savings with them. Good to know (for me) it could even damage our fresh investment! :)

I too long to be able to open the windows on those early spring days -- I'm in Maine, and we seal our windows with silicone caulk and plastic wrap all winter, so we have to wait until we're sure it won't get cold again to throw (peel, scrape, shove) the windows open!
Get a window with a good overall U-factor and good air infiltration ratings.

Have it installed by a quality installer that uses the latest installation materials and techniques.

BTW...fiberglass is not a good insulator and certainly not against air.

Tru_blue

The dubious benefits of storm windows

#7 Post by Tru_blue »

I agree with the previous comments that having storm windows on vinyl windows could damage the vinyl windows. Since your husband wondered if you would "get better energy savings with them," here's the stats:
If it's 0° outside and 70° inside (which can happen in your neck of the wood but not that often), a single glazed window would have a center of glass temperature of approx. 14°. Adding a storm increases the temperature of the glass inside the home to 45°. So it's REALLY worth it in your climate to have a storm - if you have single glazed windows, since the glass temperature increases a whopping 31°.

However, typical Low E double glazed windows with Argon gas have a roomside center of glass temperature of about 57° without a storm. Adding a storm window to that would only increase the glass temperature approx. 3° additional instead of 31° additional. Plus it negates the ease of cleaning and would probably damage the vinyl windows. So the payback isn't there to add storms to modern, energy-efficient windows.

I hope that additional perspective helps!