Simonton Does NOT Recommend Using Foam

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DerbyDad03

Simonton Does NOT Recommend Using Foam

#1 Post by DerbyDad03 »

I e-mailed Simonton customer service about the use of Great Stuff Window and Door foam with Simonton windows.

My main question was whether or not acetone would damage the vinyl. The Great Stuff can says that uncured foam can be cleaned with acetone. Here is the response:

"We do not suggest using a foam insulation with our windows. Acetone will not damage the vinyl of the windows."

Of course, if I don't use foam, why would I care about acetone?

randy

#2 Post by randy »

It's easier to say "we don't recommend the use of foams" than to say "we don't recommend the use of foam by installers who do not know how to properly apply foams".

Personally, I don't recommend the use of expanding foams by my competitors.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I'll have to rethink ever recommend Simonton again. I didn't realize they were so backwards thinking.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

What's really funny about that stance, is that in the latest issue of Remodeling Contractor, there is an advertisement for Simonton which clearly shows expanding foam around the window perimeter.

DerbyDad03

#5 Post by DerbyDad03 »

Randy,

Do you know where I can get a copy of Remodeling Contractor, perhaps on-line?

I'd love to see the ad so I can point it out to Simonton.

I love a good fight!

randy

#6 Post by randy »

You can order a copy of the magazine from their site. The ad is not displayed online unfortunately. I will try to remember to get the edition and page number tonight.

http://www.remodeling.hw.net/

randy

#7 Post by randy »

Found it - June 2007, pages 1 & 2.

DerbyDad03

#8 Post by DerbyDad03 »

Thanks Randy!

I'll call hem in the morning and see if I can get a copy. I was looking at the Simonton site and they have link to the same Remodeling Online page that you sent me to.

It'll be intersting to confront them with their own ad if it does indeed contradict their e-mail to me.

BTW I replied to their email and asked them what I should use instead of foam. The response was very detailed and extremely informative:

"We would suggest regular insulation."