Half screens on DH windows slide down

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Klavisha

Half screens on DH windows slide down

#1 Post by Klavisha »

Can half screens be locked in place on the upper sash, allowing the upper sash to be left open for air flow? I have just had new vinyls installed, and the screens slide halfway back down when I lower the upper sash. Or aren't the screens designed to stay up? Should I ask the installers about this when they return to finish the job tomorrow?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Some brands will stay up by tension, some won't. They are not usually designed to.
Others like the Schuco's I sell for example will lock in the upper position because they have locking mechanisms on the screens.

Windows on Washington

Re: Half screens on DH windows slide down

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Klavisha wrote:Can half screens be locked in place on the upper sash, allowing the upper sash to be left open for air flow? I have just had new vinyls installed, and the screens slide halfway back down when I lower the upper sash. Or aren't the screens designed to stay up? Should I ask the installers about this when they return to finish the job tomorrow?
As Window4U said, most have a small tension spring on one side or another that keeps the screen in place and provides some tension to keep it from flopping around in the screen track. Some have locking mechanisms but most do not. They are very easily removable if you just want the completely clear look.

Have your installer check to make sure that the screens are sized properly. Most times they will generally stay in the up position if sized correctly.

reindeeriv

#4 Post by reindeeriv »

I have Schuco windows with half screens. Yes, they do lock in the upper position, however there are gaps between the screen and upper sash as well the two sashes themselves that will allow large bugs and insects to enter the home. Simply put...they are only effective for air flow purposes with the screens in the lower position.

Klavisha

#5 Post by Klavisha »

Thank you for your comments, folks. I just wanted to make sure that my windows were operating as they were designed to do, and that this was not an installation flaw. In fact, I tried giving one screen a firmer nudge upwards and it did stay up. I'll check tomorrow in the daylight for gaps before I try this.