help needed in ST. louis-Polaris or Thermal industries

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
spc

help needed in ST. louis-Polaris or Thermal industries

#1 Post by spc »

I have 20 windows to be replaced - my home is about 80 years old and brick. I have wooden single pane double hung windows. I have been looking at vinyl windows - I don't think I can afford wood.

I have looked at Thermal Industries - PArk Ave. = 10,000
Polaris Ulraweld - 11,000
Both of those are triple pane, R value 9 and low U
Champion - 11,000
Softlite 11,000
both of these are double pane.Low U R 4,

ARe any of these windows significantly better or worse than the others? Is Vinyl a terrible choice as the Renewal by Anderson guy said? Do I need a high R value? IS triple pane a bad choice? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The Polaris is definitely overpriced at $11,000. It's not a premium priced window.
As far as the Renewal salesman talking bad about vinyl, that is to be expected. In my opinion, if they didn't tell a bunch of falsehoods about vinyl, then they wouldn't sell but a fraction of the jobs they do. They slam vinyl windows to try to eliminate them as competition.

By the way, if you talk to the Renewal by Andersen salesman, ask him why Andersen makes vinyl windows if vinyl is so horrible!
http://www.dashwood.com/products/vinylwindows/

On another note, I'd like to give you some off site advice that I'd rather not post about your quotes. Email me at: window4u@insightbb.com

marc

#3 Post by marc »

If the windows you mentioned are your only choices and you can get 20 Park Ave windows for $500 each I say go for it.

Personally I would keep looking.

The Park Ave window is pretty nice but the co. (Thermal Ind.) is not my favorite when it comes to quality control or service. (That was said as nicely as I could put it.)