Schuco FJB Quote - Validation Please!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nmetro

Schuco FJB Quote - Validation Please!

#1 Post by nmetro »

Hi
I had a Schuco demonstration today by FJB in Newington Ct and "signed on the dotted line". I did much research before the salesman arrived so I was aware that Schuco was the top of the line vinyl replacement window and that I would be paying top dollar for it. I then did more research post presentation which brought me to this discussion board (a very informative one I may add). Well, after viewing some posts of quotes given to other Schuco customers I am now thinking I may be paying way too much!
----
The following is what I signed off on:
A total of 4 Triple glass double low E Krypton Sliders 45"x 50" Model:Insul-Sash 2000 = $6908.00
Three of the 4 sliders will be replacing space (LV) that could have occupied 6 casement so they will need to remove the middle interior wood beam. They will have to do the same with the single remaining slider (kitchen). Original quote was 5% more before I brought up "Managers special". This includes a 12 month deferred "same as cash" finance plan. House is a 50 year old Ranch.
---
I understand sliders are more expensive than double hung and I realize these are pretty big windows but over $1600.00 a piece seems way out of the ballpark according to this forum. PLEASE let me know what you think ASAP as you well know I have only 3 days to reconsider.

Thank you all so much.

max432

#2 Post by max432 »

Hi. My advice to you would be to cancel this contract immediately to buy yourself time to FULLY research your decision. If in a week or two you still believe that this is the deal you want I am certain that the company will be more than happy to re-sign the contract with no hard feelings. Their web site is a bit missleading as in one place it says they have been in business 23 years, onther says 134 years, and yet another says 134 years of combined experience. The better business bureau says they have been in business 7 years.

I believe the price they quoted is way out of line. Top tier vinyl windows from other reputable manufacturers range from $400-$600 each installed.

I suggest you go to angieslist.com and use them as a resource in finding a good contractor in your area.

nmetro

#3 Post by nmetro »

Thanks for your reply max432.
I understand this is a sky high quote when compared to other top tier vinyl window manufacturers however I would like to know how the quote holds up compared to other similar Schuco quotes. One thing I have found from my research thus far is that Schuco is absolutely, hands down the best vinyl window made. Seeing it "in person" confirmed their claims.

Again, I just would like to know if the contractor is inflating the price. From Schuco quotes on this and other forums it seems they are.

Patty

my quote

#4 Post by Patty »

Hello, we have alot of differences in our window but in case you can figure out something from this I got a quote for the only horizontal slider I needed in the bunch as follows:
71"w x 59" h double pane; argon; no grids; Tempered Glass for about $1850.

The dealer said the Tempered Glass really jacks up the price (so I don't know what a slider w/o it would be). But if you want to work some figures maybe this would help - from the same dealer:
a 35"w x 59" h double pane; argon; no grids; Tempered Glass DOUBLE HUNG was about $1200 whereas the same window w/o Temp. Glass was $850.

I have no idea if the quotes I got are good or not - I will go read some of the past posts.

WindDoze

#5 Post by WindDoze »

nmetro
You didn't mention whether your windows were white or woodgrain, as there is about a 20% difference in price between the two.

Schuco's inline slider is more expensive and really can't be compared to any other slider from any other manufacturer. Its simply better engineered and outperforms any other slider out there, period. Its hard to compare a window quote sight unseen. If you really like the window, but feel you are paying too much, cancel the order and wait for the inevitable call from the office with an offer to sharpen their pencil.

nmetro

#6 Post by nmetro »

Thanks Windoze
They are white. I am doing that exact thing you mention and the pencil will go into the sharpener in a couple of days I hope. I really so like these sliders but enough is enough with the astronomical, profit ballooning prices. I am not wealthy yet am aware of, and desire quality in all products I consume. The only way I can attain it is to do business with dealers who have some integrity where they will be profitable enough to excel in their business while gaining satisfaction in knowing that they sold a quality product to a consumer who can appreciate it. OK I"LL WAKE UP NOW! lol

BTW Windoze - Are you familiar with FJB? I have come up with more negative than positive in my research however my only gripe is with the price at this point. They have been very responsive.

Thanks again!

WindDoze

#7 Post by WindDoze »

I have met the guys at FJB once. I know its a family run operation and that they have been in the busines for a long time and have a well established and well respected reputation within the industry. They aren't a fly by night operation by any respect...

Good Luck!