Milgard vs Simonton again

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tusaz1

Milgard vs Simonton again

#1 Post by tusaz1 »

Hello I am sure you had the question over and over but by looking at the previous post I could not find the aswer.
We live in Tucson AZ where the weather is hot. When we have our house built I made the mistake of not paying attention on what kind of window we would have and we end up with 9 Alenco which gave us problem since day 1 now the warranty is over the company have been out of business and the new owner whoo kept the same name would honor no warranty.
Anyway I do not want to have such a piece of junk, sorry there is no toher words coming in my mind reinstalled.
I need to replace them because they are falling apart.
I an thinking to go vinyl
I have seen two installers so far, one, local offers the Milgard Tuscany models.
The other through Home Depot Simonton 6200 series (he told me that it is the equivalent of the 6500
HD is higher for about $2400, is it worth the difference?
Milgard has no gas (argon) but I would get the Sunmax coating.
Other question, is it worth to check Pella?
Thanks for all your answers.

Windowman

#2 Post by Windowman »

Myself I would say go with milgard, they have a great warranty. HD has to make their money so that is one reason they are higher. They also use sub contractors (last time they tried to hire me as a sub) so you have to make sure the installers themselfs have all the insurance to protect you and your home.
I have been installing windows for 20 years and have installed both of them for a long time and prefer milgard.

tusaz1

#3 Post by tusaz1 »

Thanks for your answer. This local instaler is licenced, insured bonded and registered in the ROC.
Labor is warrantied for 2 years after Milgard takes over any feedback on how they handle the warranty?
I have been told that the manufacturer always try to put the blame on the installer if anything goes wrong and it becomes an endless game.

Windowman

#4 Post by Windowman »

The blame they try to put off on the contractor is if there is any leakage. They will not cover any leakage on their part.
The window itself, glass, locks, wheels and vinyl is all on milgard. they
do not cover screens. Here in sf bay area in Ca they also include a glass breakage.
Just make sure they do not pull out old frames, unless they are doing it new construction, IE, taking off old trim or stucco outside and replacing it with new.

tusaz1

#5 Post by tusaz1 »

Windowman wrote:The blame they try to put off on the contractor is if there is any leakage. They will not cover any leakage on their part.
By leakage do you mean the seal?

Windowman

#6 Post by Windowman »

Not the seal as in the glass unit itself, but the seal as in the caulking around the window on the outside of the new window to the wall or trim.

drumdoc

#7 Post by drumdoc »

I also have 30 aluminum Alenco windows, I believe Reliant is the manufacture of the winows I have. I found out that Reliant was ordered to honor the warranty. If you are interested you can call Alenco and get the number for the warranty. It's a recording with instructions to follow. I have so many that have gone bad I'm going to just replace them. Their not worth the trouble in my opinion.

tusaz1

#8 Post by tusaz1 »

drumdoc wrote:... I have so many that have gone bad I'm going to just replace them. Their not worth the trouble in my opinion.
I agree with you 100%,I will not bother.
I think these people should not be in business...