Glass Size lose due to replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gregt848

Glass Size lose due to replacement

#1 Post by gregt848 »

Getting ready to do replacement windows. I was wondering how much glass size is actually lost from the replacements and what brands do you lose the least amount. I would like to keep the windows as big as possible, but realize with replacements you will lose some. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

On smaller windows, I can understand your concern, but on larger windows, does that one inch, give or take mean that much of a difference??

Mostly, it depends on what you have now. I sold some that replace wood that the loss was reversed, and became a gain, because the wood frames were real big, some there was relatively no loss at all. Aluminum windows would, I assume, have the most glass loss.

gregt848

#3 Post by gregt848 »

Is it one inch total or is it one inch on each side?

gregt848

#4 Post by gregt848 »

Any other comments? I am concerned about loosing too much glass space and the replacement windows looking funny from the exterior. I know that the new construction are a lot more labor but want to explore all options.

HipKat

#5 Post by HipKat »

When I said 1", I was picking a general number out of the air.