Local Window Installer Estimates

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TNHomeowner

Local Window Installer Estimates

#1 Post by TNHomeowner »

Hello,

We had two local (so, not Window World, or the like) companies give us estimates today, and I would like your opinion on both.

For Company 1, the owner of the company (which only does windows and vinyl siding) came out, measured the windows, gave us some history of their company, the window foreman, etc. He said they could get most any window, but given the warranty, he recommended the Alside Excalibur. Installation of five of these windows (with grids) and replacement of a piece of rotten wood would be $2200. This includes also their own warranty on labor.

For Company 2, which does windows, doors and floors, a salesman came out and took measurements. He mentioned that, since our windows are standard size, they may have some remainders in their warehouse which could be obtained for a lower cost. He also mentioned aluminum windows, which surprised me because I thought vinyl was the norm. This company works a lot with builders and carries Marvin, Integrity by Marvin, Windsor, Semco and Philips (and probably others). We did not get an estimate, as the salesman would like us to visit the showroom. I explained that our schedules may not allow us to visit the showroom this week, and, therefore, he could e-mail us the estimate.

Has Company 1 given a good estimate for the Alside Excalibur? Does anyone know how the tax credit would work with these Energy Star windows? What do you think of Company 2's mention of aluminum windows?

And a general question about vinyl and aluminum: do vinyl windows take up more space (i.e. provide less light) than aluminum?

We would like to replace our current, 20-year old aluminum windows for better energy efficiency but, as this is our first house, are concerned about cost, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

JScott

#2 Post by JScott »

Looks like you are going in the right direction and you should keep narrowing the details to determine what will be best for you.

Vinyl will usually reduce the daylight opening by 1 or more inches. Also, most replacement vinyl has a 3-1/4 frame width whereas your aluminum will be much narrower. So, going from aluminum to ? will present many changes that you must weigh. Going to the showroom of contractor 2 is the best idea so you can actually see what products are available as well as to gain an understanding of what the end result will look like.

TNHomeowner

Got an update

#3 Post by TNHomeowner »

Thank you, JScott, for the information!

I will be visiting Company 2's showroom later this week or next week. The salesman found two window brands -- Windsor and Comfortview. Does anyone know how either of these are? Are they better or worse than Alside Excalibur? I still don't have a price tag, but I should get that when I visit.

Thank you, again!

TNHomeowner

One other question

#4 Post by TNHomeowner »

BTW, is it odd that I don't yet have ANY numbers or real installation information from Company 2? Are there any particular questions I should be sure to ask when I visit the showroom?