Wildfire protection and heat efficiency

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Jeff Cowen

Wildfire protection and heat efficiency

#1 Post by Jeff Cowen »

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for a great discussion site. We are in the mountains around Lake Tahoe and have two issues we are trying to address we choose vinyl windows. More than two-hundred homes burned up here this summer in a wildfire and we are looking for double pane windows with one pane tempered for most windows. For the glass doors, both panes need to be tempered. The new California Wildland Urban Interface building codes will begin requiring these types of windows for new construction beginning January, 2008, but we are following the code on our existing home.

We also heard that during the fire this summer, vinyl windows withstood the heat, but the frames melted and some windows actually fell out of their frames allowing heat and embers to ignite homes from the inside. I have researched fire wise windows and it seems that there is a certain type of vinyl clad window that won't do this during a fire.

The other issue we are addressing in our drafty mountain home is heat efficiency. Modern double pane windows should be ok, but should I be looking at glazing? I have heard there are glazings that dramatically increase the R factor.

To confuse things further, we would love to find all of this in either a tilt and turn design or as casement swing.

Thanks for any advice or information.

Jeff Cowen

More research

#2 Post by Jeff Cowen »

Is anyone out there? I've been researching further and realize for heat efficiency, I should be looking at the U factor, not the R. So, the Low E coating on the inside pane is probably what I should be looking for.

For fire protection, the specifics for vinyl are suggested as follows:

"Wood frames readily ignite and vinyl frames made from sheets of vinyl melt away from radiant and convective heat. The best choices are metal (not good for energy conservation), composite systems of wood, metal and fiberglass, fiberglass, and solid vinyl.

1. Frame and sash with welded corners.
2. Metal reinforcement in the interlock area.
3. Frame and sash profiles certified under the AAMA Vinyl Profile Certification Program.
4. Window unit certified and labeled to ANSI/AAMA/ NWWDA 101/I.S.2-97 for structural requirements.
5. Glazed with annealed or tempered insulating glass."

So that appears to be what I am looking for, but I would like to know where to start. I'm afraid of calling just any manufacturer and hearing, 'Sure we can do that,' when this is a purely custom job that will be very expensive. Does anyone manufacture this type of window already?

For the tilt and turn design, I have found three companies that make them out West. One is in Washington, one in Oklahoma, and a company based in Tuscon called Swiss Shade that appears to be mostly commercial and very expensive.

Also, it appears that most if not all sliding glass doors are made with tempered glass, so that may not be a custom request, but I don't know if both panes tempered is standard. Anyway, I'm just rambling and wondering if any of the 50 or so views of my post were by someone familiar with this type of purchase.

Thanks for listening!

Cheryl

#3 Post by Cheryl »

Good Morning Jeff,

The new California Wildland Firecodes that will go into effect require that
ONE pane of the insulated unit be tempered. It can be either the inboard or outboard pane. Which pane you choose to temper should be associated with where you want to put the Loe coating. In general, in California, it is best to put Loe3 coating on the outboard panel, so for cost saving purposes, the tempered pane could be on the clear inboard panel. The other items you mentioned in your post are recommended as well.

As far as the tilt-turn goes, Polybau makes a vinyl tilt-turn in California.

Good Luck in your search.