Please help me get started

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
deniska

Please help me get started

#1 Post by deniska »

I am looking to replace some or all of my windows within the next 12 months or so. I have an ~ 2900 sq. ft. house in the Chicago area, the house is about 17 years old. It has wooden windows that have begun going south -- sills starting to rot, plastic stops bending away, some wood warping, etc. So bad that I can get snow through some gaps in the winter and ice accumulation on the inside. And struggling to keep cool in the summer (with a brand new AC).

So... I have no idea where to start. I am a little leary of going to Home Depot (quality/grade-wise). I had a guy come in today, he happened to be a dealer of Thermal Industries Park Avenue windows in Chicagoland and pushed them quite heavily. I am awaiting a quote, and the guy appeared genuine and somewhat trust-inspiring (I can generally smell BS ;) ), and these windows seem to be good (specs, 20 years mfg warranty, 5 years labor warranty), but I simply don't have enough knowledge to draw any comparisons.

Please help a poor schmuck get started -- are these windows good? Any reason to look at Pella and the like? What other brands should I consider? Thanks!

JScott

#2 Post by JScott »

In 1985 the epa banned a chemical preservative we call penta for short. If your sills are going south then you need a full frame product not an insert as the wood will continue to deteriorate from simple fungal infestation. Contact Ashland or one of the other Infinity from Marvin dealers in chicagoland. Another option would be aluminum clad wood but the cost for the fiberglass is actually less when comparing a quality product and they still have wood in them. On another note, if you sills are just starting and the jambs are okay then you may have the sills rebuilt but use the sills from jeldwen with auralast wood preservation or a marley pvc profile that may be available from HD or Lowes. You mentioned pella which indicates you watch TV. This is not a product us pros would even consider using in your home, you would be buying a name, not a well performing product.

deniska

#3 Post by deniska »

Thanks. My sills are mostly ok (paint notwithstanding), but I'll have them examined.

I gather Pella is not a recommended option (I had a feeling they were the Bose of windows :) ). But what should I look at? Here's a few additional parameters:
- Energy efficient (I am assuming this means they do well blocking heat and cold from coming in)
- long warranty (15 years at least)
- double-hung with swing-out option
- Have wood finish...
Regarding that last "wood finish" bullet: My house has wooden doors, baseboards, and hardwood floors in most rooms -- putting white windows would be out of place (or would force me to replace doors and baseboards, which I don't want to do). I don't have to have wooden windoes per se, but something with at least a wooden veneer. I looked at one type of window that had pre-made plastic covering that looked like wood grain, but it was just plastic and looked cheap close-up -- so something better.

Do I have you baffled yet? :)

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

You better take a look at the infinity from marvin then (infinitywindows.com). The optional stainable interior may give you what you need, along with the other things on your list as well. Good luck.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Cellular PVC does a much better job of looking like wood than the current laminated available.