Design

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sandortz

Design

#1 Post by sandortz »

Would one of the pros on the board please describe the "pocket sill" design? I've researched various references and I am unable to find any references on exactly what it is and how the design works. Thanks.

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

Here is an example picture:
http://www.alside.com/images/78UltraMax ... utaway.jpg

Look to the right of #11 near the weather stripping. The bottom sash sits in a "groove" in the sill, so the bottom edge of the sash is hidden inside the sill when the window is closed. The water that flows down the bottom sash can get into the pocket and needs to drain out holes made inside the frame and then out the weep holes on the front of the window.

NCConfused

#3 Post by NCConfused »

We're looking at the Imperial LS. The dealer rep pointed out that it does not have a pocket sill. What do you call this type of sill? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each type?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

NCConfused wrote:We're looking at the Imperial LS. The dealer rep pointed out that it does not have a pocket sill. What do you call this type of sill? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each type?

Thanks
You are looking at what is called a sloped sill.

Advantages are that you will have less debris in the window sill, no necessity for weep holes (which ultimately get clogged up) and typically a cleaner look and less garbage to deal with in the pocket.

buddy110

#5 Post by buddy110 »

I would only add that the original intent of a pocket sill is to increase the DP (design pressure ) rating. Whether it actually accomplishes this is debatable.

JScott

#6 Post by JScott »

NCConfused,
You will be happy with the LS.

I think weep holes look cheesy. Most wrappers here allow for the water to run out the weep hole and down behind the aluminum. You get a much cleaner look with sloped sill design. If you have those gusher rains the pocket sills do not handle this very well and you may get water on the inside of your home.

Buddy,
If you look at the DP under the technical info for timeline windows you will see a higher rating for the pocket sills. But only 5 points, not a significant increase and there is not much difference from a 40 to 45. The gorell 5100 has both sills available. The pocket sill adds more rigitity to the sill. Their sloped sill on the 5100 is flimsy and for this reason we are beginning to offer the softlight products as I am not a fan of pocket sills.

NCConfused

#7 Post by NCConfused »

Thank you for your comments. Three weeks ago I'd never have guessed that replacing windows would be more time consuming an educational process as buying a car. Time well spent here. Y'all are doing a great service. Thanks again.

JScott

#8 Post by JScott »

NC,
You can trade a car in if you are not happy with it. A window is part of your wall. Glad you are learning.