Simonton 5500 measurement question??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
PATS12

Simonton 5500 measurement question??

#1 Post by PATS12 »

I am about to order Reflection 5500 replacement windows from Simonton from a dealer. Should I give exact measurements of the opening to the dealer or should I deduct 1/4 " from the W X H measurments that Simonton will receive?
If so do I do the same for a picture replacement window as well?

Thanks for any feedback.

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton 5500 measurement question??

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

PATS12 wrote:I am about to order Reflection 5500 replacement windows from Simonton from a dealer. Should I give exact measurements of the opening to the dealer or should I deduct 1/4 " from the W X H measurments that Simonton will receive?
If so do I do the same for a picture replacement window as well?

Thanks for any feedback.
Eitherway works as long as you state that to the person doing the ordering. I would just go ahead and deduct the 1/4 inch on the Width and height when you send in the measurements and tell them that they are exact make sizes.

Yes, you deduct 1/4 inch for all openings.

shamu

#3 Post by shamu »

Who will be installing the windows? You, the dealer, or a third party. I would suggest that person actually measure and determine the size to order either an exact size or opening size. 1/4" deductions from opening size is typical.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

shamu wrote:Who will be installing the windows? You, the dealer, or a third party. I would suggest that person actually measure and determine the size to order either an exact size or opening size. 1/4" deductions from opening size is typical.
Sounds to me like he is ordering them for either he/she to install or he is ordering them off of the measurements given by an installer.

PATS12

#5 Post by PATS12 »

Thanks for the feedback.I took the measurements and will be installing the windows myself. The measurements I gave the supplier are less 1/4" from opening size. I will just make sure those are the finished numbers from Simonton.
I had it down to Soft-Lite Imperial LS or the Reflection 5500. I went with the Simontons with the super-spacer upgrade and still got a much better price for the Simontons. I was concidering American Craftsman 9500 but thanks to research and feedback on this site I'm going with a better window.
How do the Simonton reflection 5500 w/ super spacer compare to the Imperial LS?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

PATS12 wrote:Thanks for the feedback.I took the measurements and will be installing the windows myself. The measurements I gave the supplier are less 1/4" from opening size. I will just make sure those are the finished numbers from Simonton.
I had it down to Soft-Lite Imperial LS or the Reflection 5500. I went with the Simontons with the super-spacer upgrade and still got a much better price for the Simontons. I was concidering American Craftsman 9500 but thanks to research and feedback on this site I'm going with a better window.
How do the Simonton reflection 5500 w/ super spacer compare to the Imperial LS?
Good window. Not as good an air infiltration rating on the 5500 and the tolerances are not as tight but U-factors are comparable.