Great Lakes - Seabrooke windows and patio slider

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
pas1

Great Lakes - Seabrooke windows and patio slider

#1 Post by pas1 »

I have signed a contract with a dealer (Matthews Ryan in Feasterville, PA) for 11 Great Lakes (manufacturer) Seabrooke (model) double hung windows and 1 deck/patio slider. I have 2 days left if I want to cancel contract. The sizes and extra options are listed below. The price is $7,694.00.
Extra options included in purchase:
Double Hung windows:
- Hi R + Plus glass - 1 lite of soft coat, low-e w/argon
- Interforce II - internal fiberglass reinforced meeting rails
- R-Core insulation (solid polyurethene) in mainframe and sash
- grids
Deck/patio slider:
- V-grooved ethed glass
- Brass handle
Window sizes (total=11)
(2) 66"H x 32"W
(3) 45"H x 32"W
(3) 43"H x 34"w
(2) 35"H x 23"w
(1) 37"H x 34"w
Slider: (1) 6'

Questions I have:
1. How do Great Lakes Seabrooke windows rate compared to other comparable DH replacement windows? I am looking for middle-of-the-road to high-end replacement windows.
2. Does anyone out there have any bad or good experiences with these windows?
3. Does anyone have any experiences with Matthews Ryan in Feasterville, PA or Cherry Hill, NJ?
4. The dealer/salesman is telling me the options "will be in there". How can I be sure the windows will actually be made with these options? Is it acceptable to call the salesman manager or manufacturer (Great Lakes) to confirm this? Should I expect labels for these features/options?
5. Does this price seem decent for what I'm getting? The salesman gave me a 25% discount (so he said).
6. Is there and issues/problems with having the windows installed in the winter time (mid-January)?
Thank you!

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

Seabrooke is not the best Great Lakes window, but it is not their low-end either. The spacer between the glass (Intercept) isn't the best, but it is very popular and reasonably good and will do fine for many people. Your price seems looks about average. You'll see much worse and a little better prices for similar quality, so if you are confident in the dealer, it may be a reasonable deal for you. I don't know about the weather in your area of PA, but triple pane might be a consideration if you get a good price on them. Check out the company with your local BBB.

I wouldn't sign a final contract or pay anything until you have a complete list of each window size, the options on each one, that install/tax is included, they they clean up and haul away the old windows, that the price includes install, wrap, insulate, etc. In most states, you have 3 days after the contract to go back and modify/cancel it, if it was signed in your home during a visit from a salesperson.

If it is way below freezing outside, some manufacturers/installers shy away from installs, because of contraction of the window and how well you can get caulk to seal, etc. There are special cold-weather caulks they can use to help some of this. Good luck.

pas1

Great Lakes DH windows and Patio Slider

#3 Post by pas1 »

Thanks alot, InfoSponge. You reply was exactly what I was looking for. I do feel comfortable with the Great Lakes Seabrooke windows and slider I am getting. I think they are the right windows and price I am looking for. I have gotten a few people who said they could save me $300 - $400 dollars. However, I feel I have done ample research. I could spend a career out of this :lol: Anyway, thanks for your help>
last questions-
- How do you think Sunrise and Schuco (of equal level) windows rate compared to the Great Lakes Seabrooke?
- Has a anyone ever had work done by Matthews Ryan in Feasterville, PA or Cherry Hill, NJ?
- Are there any others out there on this forum that have any input into my original questions?
Paul

InfoSponge

#4 Post by InfoSponge »

A standard Schuco Corona 4000 in double-pane is a slightly nicer looking and more efficient window than the Seabrooke, but will run $100+ extra per window, and several hundred more for the sliding door, most likely. They might last longer, but unless you are planning to live in the house for 15+ years, it may not be worth the extra cost, if the Seabrooke warranty is long enough to cover your stay. As for the Sunrise window, I'd consider it an approximate equivalent to a Seabrooke (same glass spacer as well). They are one of a few companies offering blinds between the glass.

Since you are comfortable with the dealer and the window, I'd personally just stick with what you've basically decided on already.

pas1

#5 Post by pas1 »

Thanks again. I can't tell me how much I appreciate your advice and how quickly you responded to me. You have helped me make a decision. This is normally difficult for me, since I am making it by myself. Your knowledge is appreciated!
Paul :D

Greg

#6 Post by Greg »

Hi Pas 1,
I am also considering using Mathew Ryan as my installer; the company seems to get high marks, but I couldn't pass up on an opportunity to ask a recent customer ...what did you think?

It looks like we are going with the Seabrooke hiR+ glass.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Peace,
Greg