Mounting stained glass inside vinyl window frames

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Klavisha

Mounting stained glass inside vinyl window frames

#1 Post by Klavisha »

I had decorative stained glass windows (in old wood frames), hung from picture wire and eyelet screws, in front of some of my original wood double-hung windows. Now that I have installed vinyl windows, is there any way to mount the stained glass windows, since there is no longer a wood frame to screw the eyelet screws into? If I were to hang the stained glass windows from the remaining original outer wood frame, the stained glass would hang in the air a couple of inches in front of the upper sash instead of lying against the sash for support. I considered standing the stained glass window between the bottom sash and the screen but I'm concerned that it could be too heavy and damage the screen. Duct tape might work (!) but isn't too pretty. Any ideas? [/img]

Windows on Washington

Re: Mounting stained glass inside vinyl window frames

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Klavisha wrote:I had decorative stained glass windows (in old wood frames), hung from picture wire and eyelet screws, in front of some of my original wood double-hung windows. Now that I have installed vinyl windows, is there any way to mount the stained glass windows, since there is no longer a wood frame to screw the eyelet screws into? If I were to hang the stained glass windows from the remaining original outer wood frame, the stained glass would hang in the air a couple of inches in front of the upper sash instead of lying against the sash for support. I considered standing the stained glass window between the bottom sash and the screen but I'm concerned that it could be too heavy and damage the screen. Duct tape might work (!) but isn't too pretty. Any ideas? [/img]
Screwing into the frames will typically void most manufacturers warranties and permenantly mar the window. You may have better luck with some sort of adhesive or an L-bracket

shamu

#3 Post by shamu »

If they are not too heavy or large Velcro may work.

wojnickiphd

super velcro

#4 Post by wojnickiphd »

you may want to try the Extreme velcro - they sell it for holding planters on rails during winds, and such - I have used it to hold up heavy (10lb+) signs on a wall.

http://www.velcro.com/CONSUMER/products_xt.htm

Works really well - think you can get it at home depot (plant section) or maybe walmart/target? can't remember where I bought it last, but the first time I got it a guy from Velcro USA gave it to me at a show because my sign kept falling down :)