glasses specific evaluation Help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
1a2s3d4f

glasses specific evaluation Help

#1 Post by 1a2s3d4f »

hi, i new at the glass window and don't know which is good. this is one of the spec that i have for one company not sure it good can you guy give me any idea.
Cardinal Glass System with Low E (squared) glass
Low E(squared) Glass is 2 layers of a silver metallic coating that is applied to the interior pane of glass and blocks approximately 84% of the harmful UV Rays

3/4 Insulated Glass Unit

1/8 Thick Glass

Double Weatherstripping

Brass Rollers

Deep Pocket Sill

Metal Locking System

Fusion Welded Vinyl Corners

45 degree built Weep Hole System with cover

100% Virgin Vinyl - Will never peel, chip, flake, crack or fade

.29 to .34 U-Value and SHGC

20 Year Labor Warranty from Amerimax Building Products in Sacramento

Lifetime Material Warranty

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

First, that U-value is no big scream, in my opinion.
Second, something to think about, maximum thermal efficiency happens at 3/4", if it's a 3/4" glass pack, exterior measurement, your looking at a 1/2" air space.
A deep pocket sill?? I'd look for a sloping (outward) sill, but probably not a huge deal.

1a2s3d4f

#3 Post by 1a2s3d4f »

i am still confuse about 3/4 of a inches. what will happen if it 3/4 can you explain that one more time.
thank in advance

HipKat

#4 Post by HipKat »

Ok. When you have a 3/4" glasspack, the panes of glass are 1/8" each, which equals 1/4", leaving the air space between the panes at 1/2".
With a 1' glass pack, which alot of windows have moved to, you lose 1/4" when you add the thickness of the 2 panes of glass, which leaves a 3/4" airspace (where the gas is). is this critical?? well, no, I doubt it, but for maximum thermal efficiency, it's been discovered that, that occurs at 3/4 of an inch. Then again at about 6". So in effect, a well sealed storm window, 6" from the main window would provide pretty decent thermal efficiency.

Again, is this critical, I doubt it, but it IS something you want to think about when you are buying something that's goingto have all the benefits you want and need.

The biggest things you should look at are pretty much there, as far as constructioj of the frame with welded corners, virgin vinyl, etc, but the glass is where the real action is. It's about 87% of the window.
on top of that, how well does the company install and warrantee the windows?? Also, the biggest thing is the R and U values, for the easiest way to gauge what you're buying. R7 to R10 are top of the line and what a lot of the better windows have. U values of about .20 are top performers, too.

Finally, the price. Is the money worth the value and performance you're getting.

hope this helps and doesn't confuse you too much.

just some things to consider when making a purchase.

1a2s3d4f

thank you

#5 Post by 1a2s3d4f »

thank for explain very clear. i just have one more question regard buying window. i heard that Amerimax is a ok type of window, what is the best and window that you know of. alot people said milgard is good. what is your oppion bettween milgard and amerimax. by the way, you mention R7 and R10 window (which i never heard of), do you have any site that i can read and do a research on it (since you said it good).

thank in advance.

HipKat

#6 Post by HipKat »

Good thing ou came here.
R Value isn't a type of window, it's how well thew window insulates. ALL windows have an r value. The higher the number the better. R-10 is excellant. R-4 is not so excellant.

windowrep

#7 Post by windowrep »

maximum efficiency of argon gas is between 12 and 14 mm, which is roughly about 1/2". the windows you are looking at sound good as long as there is metal reinforcement in the vinyl. i am also not a big fan of the pocket sill. sloped is much better. pay closer attention to the spacer also. good luck