Vinyl replacment options? Vinyl or wood?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DeltaHotel

Vinyl replacment options? Vinyl or wood?

#1 Post by DeltaHotel »

I want to replace windows in my home with vinyl. Currently I have wood, and my home exterior is masonite wood siding. With some of my existing windows, I have fair extensive water damage and rotting, with damage to the window casings, sills, ledges below windows, and the glass seals. I'm told by local home improvement shops that "new construction" replacments are necessary, due to the damange.

But I am also hearing that I cannot do vinyl, because vinyl exteriors have a lip that is designed to fit UNDER the vinyl siding (that I do not have), and that it's problematic to lift or remove the masonite siding to install this way.

I need to know my options here. Can I not install a full vinyl replacement that looks nice and fits well with my masonite exterior siding? Why does it matter how much damange I have to the sills and such, now? Or does it matter?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

shamu

#2 Post by shamu »

The sills,nosings and brickmold(exterior casing) can all be replaced with vinyl material which will not rot in the future. Make sure your jambs are also not rotting. A good carpenter or window installer should be able to replace or repair them. Don't worry about the sashes they will be removed to accomodate a replacement window.