What's a "bad" installation?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DerbyDad03

What's a "bad" installation?

#1 Post by DerbyDad03 »

I've heard it said a number of times that a window is only as good as it's installation.

So, what is a bad installation? Before I installed my windows I read up on the installation process from a number of sources and I asked some questions in this forum and others. As far as I can tell, I did a pretty good job, but there was no professional looking over my shoulder.

If you could list the top 2 or 3 things that make for a *bad* installation, what would they be?

My hope is that I won't see any of "me" in the list. :wink:

Windows on Washington

Re: What's a "bad" installation?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

DerbyDad03 wrote:I've heard it said a number of times that a window is only as good as it's installation.

So, what is a bad installation? Before I installed my windows I read up on the installation process from a number of sources and I asked some questions in this forum and others. As far as I can tell, I did a pretty good job, but there was no professional looking over my shoulder.

If you could list the top 2 or 3 things that make for a *bad* installation, what would they be?

My hope is that I won't see any of "me" in the list. :wink:
The first bad thing that would affect the performance of the window is not an "installation" issue but the proper measurement of the window.

I have seen it plenty of times and one of the worst examples just recently...

http://www.replacement-windows.com/wind ... php?t=2125

Getting beyond that, taking the time to properly square the window, seal, and insulate will all pay dividends on window performance. If you don't properly insulate (ie window frame perimeter, weight boxes, undersill, etc) the window will leak air from around the frame.

DerbyDad03

#3 Post by DerbyDad03 »

W on W:

Thanks for the response, and the link to the horror story.

I do believe that I properly handled all of the items you mentioned, so I'm confident that my windows will perform as well as they should, and any issues won't be due to my installation process.

Three more to do in the spring and I'm done. Just need to decide if I want to replace the side-by-side casement in the kitchen with a single awning. I'm sure I'll figure that out by the time the snow goes away.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: What's a "bad" installation?

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

DerbyDad03 wrote:I've heard it said a number of times that a window is only as good as it's installation.

So, what is a bad installation?
Here's a few examples for you. If you can't figure out why a photo is on here, just ask.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

windowrep

#5 Post by windowrep »

First and foremost the locks must be on the inside of house. jk

w4u that callage of pictures looks like a few reference books i have seen.