NoCal: Just Completely Confused

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
scevallos

NoCal: Just Completely Confused

#1 Post by scevallos »

I have been trying to help my mom replace 4 windows in her condo and have been researching for weeks. I feel almost more confused now than when I first started! I would appreciate ANYBODY's comments or recommendations on the quotes we've received:

94x46 (inches)
72x34
70x48
58x48

Allbrand: $3300 for Amerimax; $3200 for LBL and $3500 for Polybau
Custom Exteriors: $2750 for Anlin; $2350 for Certainteed
WindowMax: $2450 for Amerimax
Aames: $2300 for Amerimax
Andersen: $8700 (are you kidding me??)

My mom likes the Anlin the best, but we have no idea if the quote is a good one or not. Does anyone have anything terrible to say about Anlin? Another thing, do these windows have different models and how different are they? And finally, why do some contractors tell you that a permit is absolutely required and others tell you that you don't need one? Any insight would be greatly apprecited.

cornersoyo

#2 Post by cornersoyo »

scevallos

I don't have your answer but just to note that the pros here will probably want to know where you are located and what kind of window your replacing (wood/metal) and if there are any special options on those new windows to help determine where the pricing falls. plus anything else you can add that might be a factor. just fyi to help you get a better answer. Its a lot of fun isnt it... I hope you get it figured out! ;-)

scevallos

#3 Post by scevallos »

Thanks for the tips, cornersoyo

Live in Concord, California and replacing aluminum windows. Nothing special about any of the replacement windows, just regular sliders.

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

I like the Anlin and the Certainteed best out of those windows. MW just purchased the Certainteed name on the West. Not sure if they are going to change the product. That being said, I would go Anlin. They are made in Fresno area and used to be the Certainteed manufacturer. Very nice product.

14Vinyl

Which Vinyl Window

#5 Post by 14Vinyl »

Vinyl is the way to go – not wood! Vinyl is maintenance free and not subject to humidity, mold or insects. You want to compare value, not just price. The more cavities the vinyl extrusion has the better the thermal performance. Get a good Low-E glass, the newer coatings are far better than the older ones. Argon isn’t needed in this climate zone although some sales people will want you to think it is. There are different color whites (cream white and blue/bright white) which one do you like better? You want a welded product (not fastened together with screws). Check to see if the sashes have rollers on bottom or if the vinyl is sliding on vinyl. Personally, I like the Amerimax product the best, but you have to make you own choice. I know a couple of people who have Amerimax and they could not be happier. Regardless of which product you buy, installation is key. A great window made perfectly will give you nothing but trouble if it is not installed properly (plumb, level and square). A good window is important, a good installer is critical.

Door&WindowPlus

#6 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

I sell the Certainteed, Polybau and Amerimax. Right now most people are going with the Amerimax. It has all the bells and whistles. Standard Superspacer, dual pane double strength glass(1/8"), triple weatherstripping and even sight line.

faye1218

#7 Post by faye1218 »

I was just wondering which company the original poster decided to go with?

Right now I have 3 companies who have been very competitive with their pricing for Anlin windows:

Aames in Concord, CA
Custom Exteriors in Pleasanton, CA
California Window Exteriors in Mather, CA

I, too, live in a condo in Concord, CA and am leaning towards either Customer Exteriors or California Window Exteriors as they have offered me many upgrades on the Anlin windows, with about a $200 price difference between the 2 companies. I'm having a hard time making a decision though. If anybody has used any of the 3 companies above, I would appreciate any input you can give on them!

Thank you,
Heather