Alside Ultramax, Accu-Weld 2500, or CertainTeed BrynMawrII

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
chumphr56

Alside Ultramax, Accu-Weld 2500, or CertainTeed BrynMawrII

#1 Post by chumphr56 »

Hi I am getting ready to replace my 9 double-hung windows. Thus far I have had quotes and presentations on 1. CertainTeed BrynMawr II (with a DuraSeal glass spacer 2. Alside Ultramax 3. Accu-Weld Series 2500 with Low E Option and the Simonton 6100 series (this latter one is thru Home-Depot and their installation mark-up makes this pretty much cost prohibitive)...

So of options 1-3 what seems best? Tomorrow I have a Pella representative coming - thoughts on that as well please - preferred model..... Thanks Chris

Windows on Washington

Re: Alside Ultramax, Accu-Weld 2500, or CertainTeed BrynMawr

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Keep shopping. Better windows out there for the same price.

BrynMawr II--bulky old window that hasn't been redesigned for years
Ultramaxx--pocket style sill and very bulky frame
AccuWeld--Not a very good window and horrible warranty service

chumphr56

What would you recommend

#3 Post by chumphr56 »

Thanks for you response - another questions what brand/model would you recommend? A Pella rep. coming today is there a specific model you would recommend if these windows are as good as I have heard.
Thanks again... Christine

Windows on Washington

Re: What would you recommend

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

chumphr56 wrote:Thanks for you response - another questions what brand/model would you recommend? A Pella rep. coming today is there a specific model you would recommend if these windows are as good as I have heard.
Thanks again... Christine
In our area there are a myriad of windows to choose from. It really depends on your budget and what your requirements are.

Simonton, Schuco, Soft-Lite, Sunrise, Gorell...are just a few of the nicer brands in this area. I am partial to the ones that I know but I know them because I have sorted through the garbage and selected the ones that I know will perform.

samlab

#5 Post by samlab »

Christine look at all the windows aout there and check for any leakage....the dollar bill between the locked sash's if this type windows will help you realize the tolerances and seal between the windows some windows the dollar bill will just slide out easily this is not good.

Inside air pressure and exterior pressure, are different when heating and cooling so this is important the the windows have good seal.
Last edited by samlab on Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

Not everyone buys windows for the same reasons. Some folks have large expensive homes with high heating and cooling bills and are interested not only in windows with maximum energy efficiency, but appearance is also very important to them. Some people aren't really too concerned about the price either. An extra $10K for the right window isn't a big deal if they like it and it suits them. Whether they get their money back when they sell a house isn't a motivation either. Look at it this way, someone living in a cheap townhouse gets real excited about saving $100. on a sofa and feels a certain sense of pride and mano about their negotiating skills, while someone living in a more upscale home cares very little if their sofa cost $20K if it's what they want and it can be delivered in time for Thanksgiving.

BTW, are you sure that Vytex makes the Accu-weld window? If true, it's the first I've heard of it. Where did you get this info from?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Skydawggy wrote: BTW, are you sure that Vytex makes the Accu-weld window? If true, it's the first I've heard of it. Where did you get this info from?
I am about 99.99% sure that his statement regarding Vytex and Accuweld is inaccurate. Maybe he is referring to extrusions but I think that is a shot in the dark as well.

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

Windows on Washington wrote:
Skydawggy wrote: BTW, are you sure that Vytex makes the Accu-weld window? If true, it's the first I've heard of it. Where did you get this info from?
I am about 99.99% sure that his statement regarding Vytex and Accuweld is inaccurate. Maybe he is referring to extrusions but I think that is a shot in the dark as well.
I've got a hunch this info comes from the same source that taught the dollar bill between the sash trick, if you know what I mean.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Accu-Weld makes their own window. I've think that they may even make their own extrusions. It's been a few years since I was in the plant.

chumphr56

whew

#10 Post by chumphr56 »

First I want to thank all that have been communicating... a few more questions.

Simonton, Schuco, Soft-Lite, Sunrise, Gorell... I have had quotes on the first 2. (Simonton 6500 and 6100 series - quote by Home Depot... for all nine 6584.00 and 5307.00 respectively) Home Depot offered a good warranty and I feel the mark-up to be high. Thoughts please. The Schuco was the Corona 4000 with light oak woodgrain all 9 $5,300.00...

Thoughts on these windows and quotes? FYI: My home is actually a SFH a bungalow...

Thanks,
Christine

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Which window did feel had the best quality and which do you like the best?

chumphr56

Ideal Windows

#12 Post by chumphr56 »

Yet another contact recommended Ideal Windows.... what do you think?

Windows on Washington

Re: Ideal Windows

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

chumphr56 wrote:Yet another contact recommended Ideal Windows.... what do you think?
Ideal windows are out of NJ and have pretty good market coverage in MD. They have a rep there that is a pretty good guy so I suspect that is part of the equation.

Ideal has, don't quote me on this, 3 different vinyl lines and the top end line is a decent product. Nothing to write home about but priced pretty well and decent performance data.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#14 Post by Window4U (IL) »

With the great price you got on Schuco 4000s with woodgrain interior, I am a little puzzled why you are still looking at lesser brands. Did you actually look at the Schuco or did you get an email quote?

samlab

#15 Post by samlab »

The expert above is correct that is a great price on those Succhos.....installed.