to repair or replace existing vinyle double hung??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mrdcse

to repair or replace existing vinyle double hung??

#1 Post by mrdcse »

I recently, January 2005 moved into a new for me, existing twin home in Phila. During the winter the home was extremely cold, (furnace 3 yrs old name brand, gas forced got air). The home has dual pane (no gas or lowe) double hungs that were installed all in '97. The manufacturer is a local co. in Phila. Northeast building products. 4 windows were their custom weld the rest were their custom guard I beleive these are the lower end of the line? On a lot of the windows the light grey felt? weather striping that is supposed to keep out drafts is missing or has pulled out of their channels(you can feel air enter when windy. There are a total of 11 windows sizes 1-30 5/8 x 46 1/2, two joined at the center (31 5/8 x 45 1/2, 31 1/8 x 45 1/2) 1- 22 5/8 x 45 1/2, two joined at center ( 43 5/8 x 46 1/2, 43 1/8 x 46 1/2, and 6 at 30 5/8 x 46 Some questions
#1 can this weather striping be replaced, would it be expensive to do so? #2 the house is exposed to the sun at least on two sides the majority of the day, so would it be worthwhile to replace the windows with dual pane low-e and argon?
#3 on most sites there are good things said about schucco and simmionton, anyone else have any comments about good windows
#4 If some one would like to quote an install price please do so
thanks for all responses