is this true

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jimmy b

is this true

#1 Post by jimmy b »

I recently had a company install 11 certainteed bryn mawr 2 vinyl rep
windows. two openings were made larger by 1 foot down. when they
were finished, these 2 windows were new consruction not vinyl rep like i thought they would be and what was ordered. they explained because the opening was made bigger, new con has to be put in, is this correct. also, are they the same price 36x36, i paid for 2 vinyl rep not 2 new con.
thanks

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

All of your windows are replacement windows, as they are replacing old ones. The terms are often used incorrectly. If you authorized them to enlarge a framed opening, there would be an additional construction charge that should have been noted on your contract. Windows correctly branded as "New Construction" are typically stock sizes (easier for the architect) and have nailing fins as they are installed before siding on NEW homes.

New construction windows are NOT cheaper in quality as they are often times the identical windows used for replacement applications. Cheaper windows selected by many home builders are referred to as builders-grade products. If your windows are all them same manufacturer and model, they are all the same quality. I get the sense that your contractor simply confused the terms and you are wondering why you are being billed extra. Modifying the framing is extra work. Did you ask for those two windows to be increased in size?