Installing Details Using Foam?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
OkieDokieRick

Installing Details Using Foam?

#1 Post by OkieDokieRick »

I understand that using low expanding foam for insulation around the new Simonton windows is not extremely important, but I would like to use it if possible. I would also like to use the wrap that comes with the window, and a backer rod. I've made a lot of phone calls, and as far as I know, there are no installers in Oklahoma City that use foam.

I have located an installer who is open to the idea, if I will purchase the foam and gun for him, but he is still dubious about some of the details, and I need to make sure he does it correctly, so I have a few questions that I would greatly appreciate answers to.

1. Is it feasable to use all three (backer rod, wrap, and foam)?

2. Do you think the tradeoff of having someone use foam, that has never used foam, verses having the foam, worth it? In other words, can a good, experienced window installer do a good job using foam for the first time, or do you think it would be better to just caulk?

3. He says he measures to allow only an 1/8" gap around the window, and this isn't enough space to use foam, and it's definately not enough space to use foam, wrap, and a backer rod. He also says that I am expecting him to leave to much of a gap around the window.

So, how much should be subtracted from the measurement to allow for these three things? How much gap is necessary? How much gap is too much?

4. What size backer rod is normally used?

5. When is the backer rod inserted? Is the backer rod pushed through the gap after the window has been put in place, or is the backer rod put on the window before it is put into place?

Thanks again for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Rick

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#2 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

You don't use all three. Order the windows 3/8" less in width and 1/4 less on the heigth and use mimimal expanding form. If your looking for more ridigity get a stronger window. The foam will help varmit proof the sides, give you more insulating power along with a better moisture barrier and help with the outside noise. Don't use the factory foam on the sides or you won't be able to get any foam in.