Pricing Help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tmal14

Pricing Help

#1 Post by tmal14 »

I would like to know if the pricing I rec'd is good/bad.

I'm currently deciding between new windows from 3 companies. In total I have priced out 23 windows. Some of them have woodgrain, and it's a combo of DH, sliders, and casements. Because of the house color I have received prices for the exterior color to be beige, instead of white for all windows.

The price per window are as follows

UltraWeld by Polaris $604/window (exterior paint)

Sunrise $895/window (tan extrusion)

Imperial LS by Softlite 717/window (exterior beige laminate foil)

Are the sunrise and softlite windows that much higher in quality to warrant the 31% and 16% higher price for each over the UltraWeld? Seems like the UltraWeld price is to good to be true.

All three come from good companies, so I'm not worried about the install.

Also, in terms of the exterior color do I have to worry about the paint/foil or does it hold up well?

I would like to save some $ and just do tan vinyl on the outside and inside, but I have white trim on the inside for some rooms. I'm worried we won't like the look of a tan window with white trim. Do any of you guys who install windows see installations with tan exterior and interior windows and white trim often?

Any and all help would be appreciated. Planned on doing this window project last summer, but didn't get around to it. I just want to make sure I get the best/most for my money. I don't plan on doing new windows again any time soon.

Windows on Washington

Re: Pricing Help

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

While I was skeptical from the outset, the paint is proving to hold up just as well as the foils.

The UltraWeld is a very solid window and certainly on par with the performance of those other units.

That is really good pricing on that unit as well.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Tan interior doesn't really jive with any trim that I've ever seen. Typically, it's okay with drywall returns and aluminum tear-outs sometimes if the stool cap is finished in stained wood, marble/granite, or painted to match the tan/almond color of the window. I do like vinyl windows with a tan exterior in the right scenario.

You might want to have your Soft-Lite LS quoting dealer check the availability of the tan foil laminate. Soft-Lite is phasing to the foil laminates out right now in favor of just painted exteriors. It's cheaper and more profitable for them and they don't have to stock inventory. Sucks, I just had an order for them and and had to switch to Sunrise to get what I wanted.

I've not encountered the Polaris product lines in my parts, but many of my fellow Pros seem to like them for the price as a solid mid-grade product line.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I would put the ultraweld higher than mid-grade. Any dh that gets a .01ai is pretty darn good. The Ls is probably slightly better as would be a sunrise vanguard or restorations, but I'd take the ultraweld over the base sunrise.
If there is any downside to the Polaris, is that it is a little bulky, but not far behind the softlite in that regard. I would definitely upgrade from the standard intercept spacer however.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Ha, I was waiting for that Brandon. As soon as I typed and posted it I kind of thought that Polaris has been stepping into the upper-end vinyl category. Sorry, won't happen again. Good to see others stepping up to the plate these days and building quality products. We sometimes sound like broken records all the time with our limited recommendations, but truth be told there must be like a 30 to 1 ratio of substandard windows out there to what I find as acceptable.

tmal14

#6 Post by tmal14 »

By bulky I'm assuming you mean less glass space?

That's one of my big concerns because we are going to be replacing some side lights that are only measured at 17x65. I'm worried about the glass looking to skinny once the window is installed.

Based on price it's going to come down to the Imperial LS vs the ultraweld. The sunrise is probably to high above my price range. Aesthetically it might look the best (slimmest), but I'm not sure it's worth that much more. If the Imperial isn't that much thinner than the ultraweld that kind of makes up my choice for me. Do you have an idea how much thinner the Imperial is compared to the ultraweld?

I'm glad to know the UltaWeld isn't mid grade, I was a little worried when I read that. :D

Comparing the interior wood laminates, is there a quality difference between companies in look and quality. Or is it basically the same product used across all companies?

@homesealed to upgrade from the intercept spacer do you mean move up to triple pane? I'm not sure the "super spacer" is available. Are there other spacers I should ask for?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

They have upgraded spacer options for the UltraWeld before going to triple pane. That said, triple pane is not a bad idea.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Polaris offers the stainless intercept as an upgrade which I'd recommend. It can be had in double or triple pane.
Regarding the woodgrains, you are correct that manufacturers generally outsource that so you will find overlapping offerings and Polaris and softlite choices are very similar.
I think that either one of these options will be a great choice for you. Beyond just price, take a closer look at the two contractors that you are choosing from. Installation quality and customer service should not be overlooked.