Simonton - water retention in bottom of unit

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MTA

Simonton - water retention in bottom of unit

#1 Post by MTA »

I recently installed a Simonton 7500 double-hung (24x36). Looks great, works great. But ...

I have this question/issue: It rained a few days ago; dry and warm since then. Today I noticed there was still water from the rain retained in the channel underneath the lower sash - visible looking down through the slot at the very edge of the window. My understanding was that was all supposed to drain out through the weep holes.

To test how much water is being retained in there, I first soaked it all up with paper towels, then put in measured amounts of water in until water came out the weep hole. To my surprise, it was a about a quarter cup, maybe a little less. So that amount of water will just sit in there. That doesn't seem good at all.

Thoughts? Thanks!

shamu

#2 Post by shamu »

There will always be some residual water. The weeps are designed to take the water away fast enough so as not to back up and overflow the sill dam. It seems like the weeps are draining and the amount of water that does not drain should not cause any problems.

MTA

#3 Post by MTA »

Thanks Shamu.