Can I paint my window frames?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dr. marc

Can I paint my window frames?

#1 Post by dr. marc »

I live in a high rise condo, and we have been instructed to replace our windows only with silver aluminum sliders (like the >50 year old ones that are in now, if you can believe that). The problem is that stock aluminum windows are either brown or white (which they won't allow), and the silver ones are easily twice the price because there are only 2 manufacturers that continue to make them (in CA and MA).

Someone once told me I could paint these windows whatever color I wanted (on the outside, before installation). Is this true? Would that paint job last? And for how long? Unfortunately, I don't think vinyl is allowed, but I will check again. Would I have the same problem of the custom color with vinyl?

Many thanks in advance.
-Dr. Marc in New Haven

Windows(SouthernCA)

#2 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

I dont know if the paint would last on Aluminum but Amerimax makes a painted vinyl window that comes in at least 10 colors. The finish is warrantied for 10 years. Comes with touch up paint if it gets scratched. I believe there is a silver. I thiink that might be an option or pay more for the silver alumium ones.

HipKat

#3 Post by HipKat »

They said you HAVE to use aluminum framed windows???
Why??? Because their condo's should have windows that have features that are NOT energy efficient?? that don't last??? that require maintenance????

Unreal