Composite vs Vinyl???

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Luvmnkytoe

Composite vs Vinyl???

#1 Post by Luvmnkytoe »

Hi Recently started the search for new windows, we are looking to replace 13 windows & 2 sliding glass doors & have gotten 4 quotes, 3 are all vinyl & 1 is composite(renewal by andersen). Have read reviews that vinyl has to be replaced within 5-10 years & of course andersen says vinyl won't last either. Vinyl people tell me they have lifetime warranties so I am totally confused & have no idea who to believe. This is the 1st major home project we are doing on our house & I don't want to make a big mistake.
The quotes have been from $11,000 to $18,000 with andersen being the most expensive. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Denise

Windows on Washington

Re: Composite vs Vinyl???

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Luvmnkytoe wrote:Hi Recently started the search for new windows, we are looking to replace 13 windows & 2 sliding glass doors & have gotten 4 quotes, 3 are all vinyl & 1 is composite(renewal by andersen). Have read reviews that vinyl has to be replaced within 5-10 years & of course andersen says vinyl won't last either. Vinyl people tell me they have lifetime warranties so I am totally confused & have no idea who to believe. This is the 1st major home project we are doing on our house & I don't want to make a big mistake.
The quotes have been from $11,000 to $18,000 with andersen being the most expensive. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Denise
The claims about the vinyl only lasting 5-10 years couldn't be more fallacious if they tried.

People can't have it both ways, either vinyl will last forever and will be in our landfills for lifetimes to come, or it is an expendable medium that will disintegrate after several years.

The vinyl windows you may or may not install will probably be here long after you and I have gone.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Luvmnkytoe wrote: Have read reviews that vinyl has to be replaced within 5-10 years & of course Andersen says vinyl won't last either.
Isn't that interesting. Renewal by Andersen unapologetically bashes vinyl windows saying vinyl windows are junk and won't last very long. They flood the internet with an anonymous anti-vinyl window website that bashes vinyl in 137 ways, yet.... they are the very same company that owns the biggest vinyl window company in North America!!!
They also have another website just like the anti-vinyl site that bashes wood windows. They bash Marvin, Pella, Weathershield, Oldach and Crestline, (but of course they don't bash Andersen wood windows) 5 STAR HYPOCRITES!!
Andersen/Silverline wrote:(From their website)... We believe that form follows function, so before we make our windows beautiful, we make them strong and durable. Every Silver Line window is rigorously tested to ensure a lifetime of satisfaction. Satisfaction that is ensured by our comprehensive "Peace of Mind" Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Andersen's vinyl window has a Lifetime Warranty on all parts and glass. But, their Renewal window that is supposed to be superior to vinyl only has a 10 year warranty on the window parts and on the Fibrex frame and sash, and only a 20 year warranty on the glass.
Let's use some common sense here and ask yourself a question. Which window does Andersen have more confidence in?
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Sat May 10, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luvmnkytoe

#4 Post by Luvmnkytoe »

OK so if I leave out andersen that leaves me with quotes for a great view window($11000), excalibur(15000) & simonton(13000 not sure of spelling). Has anyone heard of the great view window because I can find info on the other 2 but not on that one. Is it more important to go with a big company or a local company? The local offers the excalibur & they offer no warranty & said that their installers are so good they don't need a warranty. Home Depot offer the lifetime & so does the great view. Thanks for your input, it is very helpful to people like me who have no clue yet want to make an informed decision.
Thanks
Denise

Luvmnkytoe

#5 Post by Luvmnkytoe »

Oh yeah the andersen guy gave me a copy of the 137 reason thing & told me it was completely independent from them & they had no input!

Window4U (IL)

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I've never heard of Great View windows, but I have heard of Grand View. You sure you got the name right?

Window4U (IL)

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Luvmnkytoe wrote:Oh yeah the andersen guy gave me a copy of the 137 reason thing & told me it was completely independent from them & they had no input!
Yeah, just like they had no input on the anti-wood window website that conveniently omits any mention of Andersen but bashes all their competition. Notice the similarity of both sites? Both websites are only linked to Renewal websites and no where else on the internet. ....but they had nothing to do with them.:roll:
http://www.loveyourwindows.com/pdfs/Thi ... indows.pdf

Luvmnkytoe

#8 Post by Luvmnkytoe »

Yeah here is a link to their website I think it locally done I'm in the DC area
http://capitalremodeling.com/windows/design/
The sales guy was really rude at the end because we wouldn't sign the contract right then but they were the cheapest quote but is that because their windows are cheaply made?
I check out the Andersen website & found it very interesting that they make a line of vinyls.
Thanks!

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

Great View is a mid grade window from Vytex Corp that is private labeled for Capital Remodeling. IIRC they take the Georgetown and stuff foam in it.

What's really funny is if you visit the Great View site, they compare their own extrusion stuffed with foam to the "competition" which is the Vytex Georgetown without foam.

Duraseal has supposedly been improved, but based on it's history. I'm still a bit skeptical.

Andersen does not make a line of vinyl windows. They purchased Silverline, makers of the cheap American Craftsman line sold thru HD, and added a label that says "By Andersen."

Why not take a look at a decent window by Simonton or Gorell? Both are available in the DC area.

Window4U (IL)

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Skydawggy wrote: Andersen does not make a line of vinyl windows.
Sorry, but I disagree. That's like saying they don't make Renewal (by Andersen) either. They 100% own the vinyl window factories, so they do make the window. They also make the profits from every vinyl window made.
Before buying Silverline they were already in the vinyl window business as they've owned Dashwood for the last 13 years as well.
Like I said... hypocrites.

Luvmnkytoe

#11 Post by Luvmnkytoe »

We did get a quote for the simonton 6500 from home depot for $13955...don't know if that is good or not. I also had a question about warranties, in your opinion should I be more worried about the window or the installation? Also any opinion on home depot since he told me they don't subcontract out anymore does that make them any better?
Thanks again!

Skydawggy

#12 Post by Skydawggy »

Luvmnkytoe wrote:We did get a quote for the simonton 6500 from home depot for $13955...don't know if that is good or not. I also had a question about warranties, in your opinion should I be more worried about the window or the installation? Also any opinion on home depot since he told me they don't subcontract out anymore does that make them any better?
Thanks again!
The Simonton 6500 sold by HD is virtually the same window sold as the Simonton 5500 and the Simonton Platinum Prism.

You should be concerned about window quality and installation quality.

HD install quality is a bit of a crap shoot.

Skydawggy

#13 Post by Skydawggy »

Window4U (IL) wrote:
Skydawggy wrote: Andersen does not make a line of vinyl windows.
Sorry, but I disagree. That's like saying they don't make Renewal (by Andersen) either. They 100% own the vinyl window factories, so they do make the window. They also make the profits from every vinyl window made.
Before buying Silverline they were already in the vinyl window business as they've owned Dashwood for the last 13 years as well.
Like I said... hypocrites.
Sorry, but we are going to have to disagree then. Mecedes owns Chrysler but I doubt anyone would claim that Chrysler is made by Mercedes.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yeah...what window.

Saying a window has virgin vinyl as a distinguishing selling point is like saying a car has 4 wheels as a selling point.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

That Georgetown window with the foam is impressive :roll:

Note the hint of sarcasm.

Sky, is that foam and inserted foam to boot or injected. Doesn't look like the green stuff that they normally inject.