Window installment quote??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kingdart

Window installment quote??

#1 Post by kingdart »

Hello, looking for help.Want to replace 13 windows and 1 doorwall. House is 11 years old. Currently vinyl.
sliders 47x34, 47x59, 3-71x58
1 6 ft doorwall
double hung tilt in- 2-23x71, 39x71, 5-59x37
Fiberglass salesperson qouted me $7200 vinyl, $17700 fiberglass. Inline windows out of Canada. Question is whether fiberglass is worth the extra 10 grand and will I be replacing the vinyl windows 10 years from now as I am doing now or is that more likely an installation issue because they just slapped these houses up.

musicgirl

Fiberglass vs vinyl

#2 Post by musicgirl »

This is what I've learned so far. There are 2 kinds of vinyl...recycled and virgin. The recycled is what places like Lowe's and Home Depot sell. The virgin that Window Pro's showed me was so much stronger than my old windows, I was very impressed. They also have an unbelievable, genuine, no tricks Life time warranty. It can be transferred one time to new owners if you sell your house so it's a great selling point. They also have this "Miracle Glass" and are the only ones that can sell it. The warranty covers every single thing including all labor,except if a hurricane sends does happen to do damage. Then ofcouse insurance would cover it. There are so many great things to say about this company . I think it's worth looking into. They have a web site. I'm trying to find someone who has these high impact windows so I can get some opinion's you don't need impact windows they have others ,frames are the same and worth checking out.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#3 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Regarding Window Pro's, they may be a reputable dealer but have given you false information if they told you HD, Lowes, Menards and comparable big box stores use non virgin vinyl. I don't know of any vinyl window company of which there are more than a thousand that use what is commonly called regrind instead of virgin vinyl. This type of presentation reminds me of the old school hucksters, so I would question most of their remarks.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#4 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

kingdart in response to your question. that is pretty high for the fiberglass. Options like the oak interior or true SDL's and a ton of labor extras might get you that high, but I doubt it. High quality vinyl windows will last 25+ years so don't worry about replacing them anytime soon. Inline makes a good window with some of the better fiberglass numbers but that price sounds suspect. Our fiberglass windows usually run 70% more than vinyl comparably equipped 7200 x 170=$12,240.00 just to give you a rough example. A little more shopping never hurts, good luck.

musicgirl

Window pro" & Miracle Glass

#5 Post by musicgirl »

Hey Window guy, Thanks for response. I'm still trying to find out more about "Window Pro's"& Miracle Glass.Window Pro's has many website but I want to talk to someone who has done business with this company. So if you hear anything about this Miracle Glass (which is unique as it has metal in the film), let me know. I continue to check them out in the meantime. Thanks again.

Window-Guy

#6 Post by Window-Guy »

So if you hear anything about this Miracle Glass
Yes, I would be most curious to hear about the "miracles" this glass can perform so I too can believe. :roll:

musicgirl

Cute

#7 Post by musicgirl »

You're a funny guy. Did you check out the web site? I've been checking out their accreditations.I'm going to call the general manager in sarasota and ask him a few questions. I want to talk to someone other than a salesman. I let you know what I find out.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#8 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

The GM probably trained the sales rep, I'd investigate an un-biased source.

musicgirl

miracle glass

#9 Post by musicgirl »

That's what I've been trying to do. But who? I can't find anyone. According to all the literature I have, some from sales rep & some from their website, these are exceptional windows in every way. I saw them.And don't laugh but the sales rep rolled over the window with his truck and then parked on it. Nothing happened. Then he swung at it hard with a 1x4 that had protruding screws in it. It didn't even scratch. Then he had me smear butter on the glass and had me get a wet paper towel (just water) It wiped right off and I dried it & no smears what-so-ever.The frames are 100% virgin vinyl with extra air chamber for extra insulation said atr was the best insulation. The warranty is 100% Lifetime for every single item it took to make that window. Parts, labor & transferable. Also,a guaranteed 30 days to get a full refund if not happy with them.The coatings on the glass are special scrath coating to protect chemical& create superior bond...Transparent layer- composed of silver atoms and actinium deposited----anti-reflective zinc oxide (special to miracle glass)----ply- sealing coating- to maximize uniformity & consistency to #6_#3 Prevents non-deterioration found in low end products.--And safe-T Shield sealing -a heating & cooling based process, the molecules achievea superior strength (special to miracle glass) Then a whole lot more about the frames. So what do you think so far?

shamu

#10 Post by shamu »

I hope you had boots on during this presentation, because they sure where piling it on thick! Low-E glass, laminated glass. The only miracle about that is they can keep a straight face while telling you about it. Ask for some information with some substance, U-value, air infiltration, who manufactures the window (how's it listed in the NFRC directory). Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

musicgirl

miracle glass

#11 Post by musicgirl »

Ok----I've been up to my neck in researching & here are ratings you mentioned. These will all be for double hung although I have them for awning & sliders as well. U-factor 0.30-----Solar Heat Gain Coefficient-0.26-----Visible Transmittance-0.45----air leakage(U.S./I-P 0.2------condensation resistance-57 Then----double glazing---argon filled---low-E. This info came from Regency Plus Inc. Maunufacturer.This is "large missile impact rated . Certification & product testing came for National Accreditation and Management Institute, INC.The Miracle Glass was manufactured at Cardinal Industries Inc. Window Pros holds the patent.Also I have now talked to 3 different people in my town who have these windows. They are totally satisfied with the product and said install was professional and without any problems .So all the things I wanted to know from you guy's out there in forum land, I found out with diligent research. How does it all sound to you? By the way, I took my boots off.

gardenpartyfish

Re: Fiberglass vs vinyl

#12 Post by gardenpartyfish »

musicgirl wrote:This is what I've learned so far. There are 2 kinds of vinyl...recycled and virgin. The recycled is what places like Lowe's and Home Depot sell. The virgin that Window Pro's showed me was so much stronger than my old windows, I was very impressed. They also have an unbelievable, genuine, no tricks Life time warranty. It can be transferred one time to new owners if you sell your house so it's a great selling point. They also have this "Miracle Glass" and are the only ones that can sell it. The warranty covers every single thing including all labor,except if a hurricane sends does happen to do damage. Then ofcouse insurance would cover it. There are so many great things to say about this company . I think it's worth looking into. They have a web site. I'm trying to find someone who has these high impact windows so I can get some opinion's you don't need impact windows they have others ,frames are the same and worth checking out.

I'd highly doubt any Energy Star Rated window has recycled vinyl let alone the El Cheapo $185 DH Newspaper Ad Garage Window "Specials."

The chemistry is so much better on these plastics today as opposed to the 1970's/1980's crack, peel, bow, rainbow effect of earlier generations of uPVC.

buddy110

#13 Post by buddy110 »

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY wrote:Regarding Window Pro's, they may be a reputable dealer but have given you false information if they told you HD, Lowes, Menards and comparable big box stores use non virgin vinyl. I don't know of any vinyl window company of which there are more than a thousand that use what is commonly called regrind instead of virgin vinyl. This type of presentation reminds me of the old school hucksters, so I would question most of their remarks.
+10

Miracle glass is nothing but a name they gave to their low e glass, no more no less. Claiming they are the "only ones" who sell it is pure bull.
Please shop around. The numbers you posted are not any great shakes. There are loads of windows that can do much better.It seems to me they are a sales outfit selling you a story.

BTW; HD and lowes sell virgin vinyl windws.They are cheap but not recycled.

buddy110

Re: miracle glass

#14 Post by buddy110 »

musicgirl wrote:The coatings on the glass are special scrath coating to protect chemical& create superior bond...Transparent layer- composed of silver atoms and actinium deposited----anti-reflective zinc oxide (special to miracle glass)----ply- sealing coating- to maximize uniformity & consistency to #6_#3 Prevents non-deterioration found in low end products.--And safe-T Shield sealing -a heating & cooling based process, the molecules achievea superior strength (special to miracle glass) Then a whole lot more about the frames. So what do you think so far?
Ask them about their framorstats and pheneuton valves too.

musicgirl

pheneuwhat??

#15 Post by musicgirl »

You guys are really having a ball with me, aren't you? What the heck is framostat & pheneuton valves? Here is what I have at hand. Frames constructed of tempered & extruded 2001 ZX PVC Compound High Impact resistance. (2) Tempered honeycombed extrusions. Superior strength & resistance to warping & bowing. (3) 12 point fusion welded mitered corners on all frames & sashes. Sash reinforced w/ non-corrosive alloy.Then there is the info abut double locks etc.I saw them & thought they were great. He drove his truck over them & nothing happened. Drove the truck over the whole window. No breakage. I know I won't be driving anything over my windows. I'm only telling what I saw ,-(with my boots on). You guys will never be believers. I've given you everything but DNA. When I get my windows, I'll have a big window party. You are all invited & you can all wear boots. How's that?