Simonton 7500: What's the mechanism?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MTA

Simonton 7500: What's the mechanism?

#1 Post by MTA »

I'm replacing old wood double-hungs with Simonton 7500 double-hungs. I'm curious: what is the mechanism in these windows that does what counterweights do in wood double-hungs? It's not just friction in the track, is it? Thanks.

insiderinfo

#2 Post by insiderinfo »

Simonton uses a 1/2" stainless steel constant force "coil" balance on their 7500 series window. It relies upon the energy stored in the coil (similar to energy stored in a spring) to provide the assist for lowering and raising the sash. Friction is generally not relied upon for assistance in this type of balance system, although an optional screw can be mounted in the shoe which will expand the balance shoe when tightened and provide additional resistance to gradual sash slide when open.

MTA

#3 Post by MTA »

Thanks very much, insider. Where is that spring located? I want to be sure I don't put mounting screws somewhere in the track that would interfere with it.

insiderinfo

#4 Post by insiderinfo »

Are you installing the windows yourself?

MTA

#5 Post by MTA »

Yes.

insiderinfo

#6 Post by insiderinfo »

I must caution you that Homeowner installation of these windows even by the most seasoned "do it yourselfer" can be problematic. There is a saying used in the industry that a window "is only as good as the installation". There are so many things that can be ommitted or done wrong that will leave the window (s) performing less than it's designers intended.

Mounting holes for instance. Unless this window came with nail fins attached there should already be installation screw holes predrilled within the jamb cavity. These holes are of a counter sunk type so that no screw heads will protrude and interrupt (read stop and damage) the balance package.

Additional caveats and instruction are too numerous to go over in this forum.

MTA

#7 Post by MTA »

Fair enough, thanks.

There are no pre-drilled installation holes.

buddy110

#8 Post by buddy110 »

Remove the sash stops the pre drilled holes are behind them.

Be sure to use some sort of insulation around the perimeter. Most here use low expanding foam. Get it under the sill from the outside then snap in the sill support.

Also set the window into a bead of silicone. Place the bead on the blind stops and set the window into it.

When you install the inner stops set them into a bed of silicone to seal them 100% to the window and jamb. be careful not to use to much that it oozes out. It's impossible to get off while wet. If it does ooze wait until it dries then peal it off.

Once the exterior is capped place a bead around the perimeter where the capping meets the window.

Last use a bead of paintable caulk inside where the sill wooden sill meets the vinyl window.

Good luck!

MTA

#9 Post by MTA »

Thanks buddy110.
buddy110 wrote:Remove the sash stops the pre drilled holes are behind them.
Not on the Simonton 7500 ... at least the West Coast version. There are no pre-drilled holes, even behind the sash stops.
buddy110 wrote:Be sure to use some sort of insulation around the perimeter. Most here use low expanding foam. Get it under the sill from the outside then snap in the sill support.
No separate sill support on these windows. It's just the bottom of the integrated stucco flange. They rip the side and head jambs of the flange at the factory and leave on the bottom flange to serve as the sloped sill adapter. My understanding is that the East Cost version is different, with a separate sill adapter.

Thanks for the suggestions!