South Facing Windows - No shade - Vinyl OK?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MinneGal

South Facing Windows - No shade - Vinyl OK?

#1 Post by MinneGal »

I have a 96" x 48" opening currently with 4 casements, south facing with no tree protection. The current windows are wood, 28 years old. I want to replace with vinyl, 3-lite either casement or slider, but am concerned about the heat factor. The exterior paint and interior stain takes quite a beating so it does have an effect, even in Minneapolis. Will decent vinyl windows hold up well for 25 years in that spot? Is there some 27" width rule I should be concerned about?

One local company, Renaissance Exteriors, is selling a "THV Compozit Window" (made by Thermal Line Windows in ND) which is made of "Expanded Polymer Composites... 400% stronger than rigid vinyl" and "heat distortion values" above 185 degrees (vs. apparently the normal 140 degrees for "ordinary" vinyl. This product has walls that are obviously much thicker than typical and it does seem stronger (looking and holding a cross-section). It's "poured", not extruded, and has a "honeycomb" cell structure (not visibly of course). Windows are very nice but even with the "discount" :roll: will be about $1500+ more than some vinyls I've looked at (Sugarcree/ProVia, Heartland, Hayfield).

I'm in a low end townhome with 2 shared walls, and although I may be here awhile, don't want to overdo the window purchase (so many other things need redoing around here....).

Anyone have thoughts about how vinyl would hold up in my situation and/or about that Compozit window?

Thanks! :)

Windows on Washington

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Vinyl will do fine in your application. The only areas people are typically concerned with is in desert, ie very hot ambient temperatures, climates.

The composite product they are referring to is probably just an expanded vinyl composite product which does have some benefits over standard vinyl but whether or not that is worth 1500 is really up to you. I don't see the benefit or expense justification in the window application that you mentionned.

As long as you are comparing a very good vinyl window to the composite, it should do just fine in that application.

MinneGal

#3 Post by MinneGal »

Thanks, W-on-W, I appreciate your feedback, and am glad to hear that answer. I will try and post back later with some more specific vinyl options.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

No problemo. We are here to help.