Schuco - Sash Stops to prevent water outflow through drains?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tdrewk11

Schuco - Sash Stops to prevent water outflow through drains?

#1 Post by tdrewk11 »

I'm having some leak issues with my double hung Schuco replacement windows and I'm looking for a creative solution to stop a couple of trouble spots. We used Schuco replacement windows in a new construction house as I mentioned a long while back, and this is no doubt creating this problem, Grrr...

From what we have seen, water entering the upper sash chamber is exiting through the bottom drains, then some of it is getting behind the wood trim and past the caulking, then of course seeping down the wall onto the interior floor. I'm looking to find the best caulk/silicone to utilize in this situation (any suggestions?), although I'm not comfortable relying on that solution alone. I'm receiving strips of Sash Stops that I was thinking of cutting to fit and sealing of the chamber completely off, which I assume will prevent the need for the drains, is that right? I realize that I'll make the upper sash a fixed pane, but I'm not sure what other options I have?

The exterior of the home is fiber cement siding with 2x trim around the windows.

Thanks
Another sad Schuco story :(
Tom K

gardenpartyfish

Re: Schuco - Sash Stops to prevent water outflow through dra

#2 Post by gardenpartyfish »

tdrewk11 wrote:I'm having some leak issues with my double hung Schuco replacement windows and I'm looking for a creative solution to stop a couple of trouble spots. We used Schuco replacement windows in a new construction house as I mentioned a long while back, and this is no doubt creating this problem, Grrr...

From what we have seen, water entering the upper sash chamber is exiting through the bottom drains, then some of it is getting behind the wood trim and past the caulking, then of course seeping down the wall onto the interior floor. I'm looking to find the best caulk/silicone to utilize in this situation (any suggestions?), although I'm not comfortable relying on that solution alone. I'm receiving strips of Sash Stops that I was thinking of cutting to fit and sealing of the chamber completely off, which I assume will prevent the need for the drains, is that right? I realize that I'll make the upper sash a fixed pane, but I'm not sure what other options I have?

The exterior of the home is fiber cement siding with 2x trim around the windows.

Thanks
Another sad Schuco story :(
Tom K

Proper water drainage/vapor method is very imp. Yeah..I know they mention new construction but it's really good info. Quad is very good (Polymer Caulk)as are many Polyurethane Sealants.

insiderinfo

#3 Post by insiderinfo »

Are the exterior weep holes covers clear and free of any covering or caulk so that they can drip to the outside freely?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

It may NOT be a sad :( Schuco story, but rather a sad installation story.

If they are leaking water, I doubt very much it is the actual window unless the weep holes are covered, and that would again be an installation issue, as I've never had a Schuco double hung leak as you are describing.
I would almost bet it comes down to improper flashing (or improper caulking of the weep holes) when all is said and done. Or, if they built buck frames they might have screwed through the sill which could cause a leak.

utoo

#5 Post by utoo »

If my memory is correct you are the person who had 50 schuco windows delivered by your dealer without any nail fins. How did you end up installing and flashing your windows? I mentioned to you at that time that in my part of the country nail fins are required for new construction. I agree with the previous poster that improper installation and flashing is going to end up being your culprit.

tdrewk11

#6 Post by tdrewk11 »

Yes, good memory as I did get the 50 Schuco's for the new construction without nail fins. The problem no doubt is with the installation, but that's due to the misrepresentation from Schuco's sales rep and dealer. We were told they would deliver windows with nail fin attached meant for new installation. The windows then arrived without any nail fins attached and the strips they ended up sending afterwards were made of flexible plastic that were basically unusable.

Window installation was achieved by screwing into the framing from the side and resting the window on the 2x4 framing. Metal flashing was used on suspected problem windows, placed behind the edge and sealed with caulk, then placed the 2x trim snug up against the DH's where the window protrudes outward, then sealed with caulk again. The top and sides seem to have a very tight seal and I suspect will not cause much of a problem, albeit I may have to inspect yearly and watch for trouble spots.

The problem lies on the bottom of the windows due to the drain. We did place 2x trim below the weep holes and they are clear, but the 2x trim is basically level and sometimes even angles towards the house creating a ledge that water can sit on and/or weep down into any open caulk areas. There is little area under each weep hole, so the trim is butted up against the window with little window frame to create much of a seal, which also prevented good flashing tape to affix to.

My current plan is to use a dremmel and slope off the trim away from the windows near the weep holes, just enough to create down and out flow. I'm not sure this is enough, so I would like to prevent water from getting into the weep holes completely, so that’s why I was thinking of using Sash Stops to prevent water from entering the sash cavity at all. If I prevent water entry from the sash areas, will that prevent water from needing the weep holes?

We've only noticed two problem areas so far, which came after large driving downpours of rain. I'm hoping to find the best relative solution for a bad situation. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

tdrewk11

#7 Post by tdrewk11 »

Still curious, will sealing the sash channels using the sash stop plastic strips prevent the need for the drains?

shamu

#8 Post by shamu »

The only way to find out is to try. Although my guess is that water is getting behind the siding and running in around the frame and down onto the sillplate and exiting at the interior trim. You should probably pull the interior trim from 1 window and perform a water test.