insulation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jjk

insulation

#1 Post by jjk »

I am presently decideing betwen Great Lakes Seabrooke and BF Rich Vintage vinyl windows. The hollow cavities in the Great Lakes are filled with foam insulation whereas the BF Rich are not. I'm leaning to the BF Rich (less expensive) but am hesitatnt due to lack of insulation. Does the insulation make a great deal of difference?

joelsindc

#2 Post by joelsindc »

jjk, what did you decide? Looking at the BF Rich Vintage now you can go with the foam filled option, I'm leaning that way myself...

JTXX

#3 Post by JTXX »

I have read in this very forum that for the most part foam filled sashes are little more than a sales pitch. I am by no means any type of expert. Like you a too am window shopping.

JTXX

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Both of those windows come from companies that have been around for quite a while. BF Rich is real close to my home, but I'm sorry I don't know all that much about their window except that they still use Swiggle spacing. We once sold the Great Lakes products but we switched them out back in 05, thus I don't know how the new line up is holding up.

I would consider the two windows on pretty much level playing ground. I personally would go with the window that has the better warranty and the dealer who is going to provide the longest labor and service warranty.

You might want to check out the NFRC website to compare the two. Also, do both of the windows have balance covers? Does one window have more weather stripping than the other?

joelsindc

#5 Post by joelsindc »

Mike,

Are you sure about the Swiggle Spacing? I thought they use DuraSeal now. Perhaps I don't understand the terminology.