Choosing a Window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Seg1

Choosing a Window

#1 Post by Seg1 »

I've been looking at replacement windows and have what I thought would be a simple requirement - a narrow framed window of decent quality. My house has a lot of shade and a couple of narrow windows, so I want to maximize the amount of glass. Windows such as the Softlite Barrington, Alside Excaliber and Window World 4000 have a narrow frame, but get pretty mediocre reviews. Is there something out there that's reasonably priced, of mid-line quality and still has a narrow frame, or are all narrow frame windows poorly constructed by their very nature. Any help would be appreciated.

shamu

#2 Post by shamu »

The Barrington window has actually recieved favorable reviews on this board from myself and others. It is a well constructed window that performs well when installed properly. Just curious as to what you don't like about the Barrington?
Although most would consider it a lower end product, in my opinion even the Excalibur window is not a bad window when installed properly. Most bad reviews on it seem to be directed more to Window World and their service and installation.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Barrington or the Bainbridge are very nice windows. Both from Soft-Lite.

You may also want to look at the Okna DH300 if you are looking for good performance numbers and a very thin profile.

Seg1

Additional Info

#4 Post by Seg1 »

I'm in the Northern VA area (Fairfax). Do you have any idea of what the Excaliber, Okna 300, and Barrington windows should cost for 23 windows without installation? I figure $100-150 for installation in this area. My wife doesn't like the external profile of the Barrington, so that's my last choice of the 3.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you like the Soft-Lite window but do not like the Barrington exterior, go with the Bainbridge. It is basically the Barrington with a reworked exterior profile and balance covers.

Seg1

#6 Post by Seg1 »

Any advice on costs for the 3? I know that Excaliber run less than the Barrington/Bainbridge series. Where do the Okna's fall?