Which would you choose?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
John

Which would you choose?

#1 Post by John »

I am replacing 14 double hungs and 2 picture windows. I have quotes for Gilkey System-6 (triple-pane and most expensive @ $9,000+/-), Gorell 5300's ($8,000+/-), Soft-Lite Imperial LS w/ SS ($8,000+/-), and Simonton Prism Platinum w/ SS (least expensive @ just $6,500). I am fairly comfortable with all 4 installers. If money weren't important, which would you choose and why? If money were an issue, which it is, which window would be your choice? Also, should the fact that the Gorell and Simonton windows are not steel reinforced be a concern to me, as several of my windows are quite wide? Thanks.

Skydawggy

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Gilkey is a well regarded window. I'd go with it because you are getting triple pane for just a little bit more.

If you go double pane, I'd get a price from Gilkey and then compare it to the others. If price were the biggest issue and you decide to go double pane, I'd go with the Simonton Prism Platinum based on the info you provided. It is available with sash reinforcements.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Gilkey is the only one with a pocket sill. The rest have sloped sills so I'd choose one of those if it were me instead of Gilkey.
A pocket sill runs the water that gets in the sill channel through the master frame of the sill and out the weep holes. If the weep holes get clogged with insects, mold or debris inside the frame (where you can't get into to clean) then rainwater can fill up the sill and pour over onto the floor. I saw that happen on a pocket sill job just last week. If Gilkey had a sloped sill and got rid of the intercept spacer it would be a much better window.

John

#4 Post by John »

still looking for more feedback on which window i should choose? also, any comments on which is the most attractive of the 4?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

You will probably get a bunch of different answers depending on who you ask.

I think comparing dual pane to dual pane across the board, the Soft-lite Imperial LS has the best performance but is that worth more than the 1500 delta between that window and the prism...? That is for you to decide.

I do not like the pocket sill design as Window4U mentioned.

John

#6 Post by John »

any thoughts/comments on appearance? most attractive?

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

John wrote:still looking for more feedback on which window i should choose? also, any comments on which is the most attractive of the 4?
One man's weed is another man's flower. It doesn't sound as if you have actually looked at these windows. I suggest you do if you haven't already.

While I prefer a sloped sill to a pocket, (actually I prefer the Simonton stepped sill) the possibility of enough dirt and pollen that could accumulate to create a problem is minimal. Not saying it never happens, but I've never seen it. The house I bought 5 years ago has pocket sill window from a previous owner and I've never had an issue with them other than some residual water when we get a hard storm. My guess is you'd have to live near a construction site and leave your windows open all the time to get that much dirt. Or be a really lousy housekeeper.

I also have no problem with Intercept Spacer. It's been around for a long time and has proven itself to be reliable.

I'd put the above concerns on a lower scale than glass breakage.

Find out how much the Simontons would cost to upgrade to the Simonton Impressions triple pane. If it's the same or less than the Gilkeys, that's the way I'd go.

Bill

#8 Post by Bill »

I would never sell or purchase a window with a pocket sill. We sold a window with the primitive pocket sill design in the late 70s and early 80s and you had to remove the snap in sill to replace the balancer shoe on the lower sash. There was always a disgusting mess often wet in the frame along with a few dead creatures.

Bill

John

So which would it be??

#9 Post by John »

Thanks for the advice to this point. So if the prices were all the same, which would you choose - the Gorell 5300, the Soft-Lite Imperial LS w/ SS, the Simonton Prism Platinum w/ SS, or another product that I have not yet mentioned???