Simonton Windows in Arizona

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
markau76

Simonton Windows in Arizona

#1 Post by markau76 »

Hi,

I have 8 windows ranging in size from 48x48 to 120x48, with a total area of 52 square feet. All are single pane aluminum. I want to switch to double glaze, Low-E, and maybe argon.

I have gotten a quote for $6k from Home Depot (Simonton 6200), $8k from Sears (I think Simonton as well).

All are Energy Star (exceeds actually)

Obviously the Sear quote is high. Are they more reliable with regards to better installers? I have read in this forum that the Home Depot installers are hit or miss.

For these size windows, what is a fair materials + labor price?

Also is Home Depot moving to Viplex windows? They acquired Viplex in 2005, but my October 2005 quote from HD was still for Simonton.

Thanks

eberry

#2 Post by eberry »

On average you might ge a slightly better install from Sears, but there is no guarantee with either you won't get a bum installer. Definitely ask to see some windows your exact installer and crew installed before you purchase. If you act interested in the quality, it is more likely you'll get good quality. Be sure labor is covered in the warranty for at least as long as you plan to live in the house.

Sears claims all installers are in-house employees now, though I know this wasn't true in the past. The Home Depot installers are probably all working for less money, but may be just as good, if you get lucky.

That said, Sears is often overpriced for what they offer. They are not bad windows though.

markau76

Another AZ quote

#3 Post by markau76 »

I am the orginal poster. this morning I got another contractor to come to my house. I won;t have the quote until next week since the guy is going to Mexico later today (taking a $800,000 quote there for a large complex). Of the brands he had available (Western, Milgard, Fleetwood, Jordon, and International Window), he preferred International. IWC is made locally in Phoenix. He admitted the product is not a Bently, but its not a Yugo neither. He thought Fleetwood was a Bently. He did not menton Milgard, but from what I have seen in this forum, Milgard is well regarded.

Has anyone had any experience with International Window (or Fleetwood for that matter)?

This guy recently put in 3 casement windows in a friends house for $900. They were IWC but might not have low-e (U=0.59)- the friend just moved in last year, and all but three windows had been replaced, and he wanted to complete the job with the same brand model windows. They may have been vinyl clad aluminum frames. I would think that the vinyl would still transfer heat a lot though...so if I follow this logic, I would only need less than $3000 for all 8 of my windows (but I do have some large windows).

Thanks