I like spray foam but manufracturer and installer don't ...

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
walter.80

I like spray foam but manufracturer and installer don't ...

#1 Post by walter.80 »

I have read what I could on using spray foam to insulate around vinyl replacement windows. I have picked Vista (http://www.vistawindowco.com/) because they seem to be reasonably priced, high quality vinyl replacement window. The insulating wrap is an option which I was planning to _not_ go with. Instead I requested that the installer use a spray foam. I even offered to supply the foam and the gun.

The installer was against spray foam and called the manufacturer who was very negative. The manufacturer's arguments are as follows:
1. "quality" fiberglass stuffed in the gap is just as good,
2. spray foam will bow the sashes making the windows inoperable, and
3. spray foam will stain the vinyl when it oozed out.

I feel like I can discount #1. Seems like the low expanding foam (DOW or Hilti) with gun application will avoid bowing sashes. I have been unable to find any information on staining. The manufacturer said should work with the installer on this. I might be able to convince the installer that I will take responsibility for inoperability and staining. I need to convince myself first!

My questions are as follows:
1. Has anyone seen or experienced bowing when using low expanding foam with a gun?
2. Is it possible that the foam will stain the vinyl?

FenEx

Re: I like spray foam but manufracturer and installer don't ...

#2 Post by FenEx »

Stick to your (foam) guns on this. Your manufacturer and installer are both behind the times. I am a corporate consultant to both Johns Manville and Owens Corning and they would even agree that their fiber glass and Fiberglass respectively will not perform when used this way. The gun will allow greater control and you can get a can of gun cleaner that will easily dissolve any uncured foam that might ooze out on to the vinyl without staining. Most window and door foams are approved for use by the AAMA and will not bow the frames.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

If the manufacturer is very negative on the use of window foam, then they may cancel your warranty if you use the foam.(stupidly)
Personally, I'd pick both a different window brand of window and a different installer. Window foam is the way to go as FenEx stated, and dealing with people who are still sticking to old inferior methods is silly when there are other companies and installers out there who are up to date on current methodology.
If the installer isn't up to date on insulation, what else is he not up to date on?

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

If the installer hasn't used a spray foam gun in the past you don't want to be his maiden voyage. I had to let a crew go because they started in the industry back in the the early eighties, and whatever they had been taught back then still goes today. I would leave the gun and plenty of foam and whenever I'd stop by to check on things they would still be packing fiberglass. It was always some type of excuse.

On a side note. Owens Corning is having one of the more decent manufacturers make a vinyl window for them, and I heard they even want the manufacturer to have the foam in the extrusions dyed pink for them, not green! All windows installed by the Owens Corning dealers/window installers must have "pink" fiberglass bat installation installed as installation as it's part of their presentation.

eros121675

#5 Post by eros121675 »

I have a question for you window installers. I agree that a foam should definitely be used, but is there a difference between what you guys are calling a foam gun and the foam it dispenses, oppose to a can of Great Stuff low expanding for windows and door jams?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The foam guns make a huge difference in controlling the foam. The cans with a straw are a nightmare to use and messy. The fact is, if I had to use cans with straws on my jobs I don't think I would be using foam on my jobs.
If I remember a previous discussion we had correctly, the foam with the straw also has a higher expansion rate.