Will the rising cost of winter fuel affect window sales?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Will the rising cost of winter fuel affect window sales?

#1 Post by Window4U (IL) »

When I look back to the late 70's when there was an energy crisis, high energy prices, and a bad economy, window sales and other insulating purchases seemed immune to the bad economy and were booming because of people trying to lower their energy bills.
I wonder if these coming high prices will spur a similar buying frenzy of energy saving products, or if Americans feel they have enough disposable income to ride out the high energy prices without upgrading the insulating capabilities of their home.

To the pros... do you think the higher costs will effect sales either up or down this fall as the winter heating season nears?

For homeowners...are the coming high prices of fuel your main factor in your decision to purchase new windows?

Windows(SouthernCA)

#2 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

I'm is Southern California and we are very busy. We did well over $1 million in sales each of the last 3 months. We sell 10 different brands of windows. Different price points make a big difference. People are concerned about their energy bills - air conditioning and what it will cost to heat their house this winter. The competition is extermely cut throat out here.(Companies are using gas prices to justify paying $800 a window.) People out here dont have a clue what windows cost. Lot of good window companies and a lot of bad ones. You should see some of the window installations out here. Energy Costs are #1 why people are thinking of buying windows now. At least my experience.

MJB

#3 Post by MJB »

I am a homeowner and am in the market for new windows. To this point, I haven't given much thought to the coming high prices for fuel to heat my house this winter - although, I welcome the savings from new windows. For me, the greatest consideration is comfort. We live in a house built in the late 1960. I believe the windows are original. In the summer (hot VA summers) my new AC system has to constantly work to keep the upstairs level cool. I hope that new windows will help maintain a more consistent, and comfortable, temperature.

I'll bet, however, that as we see the cost of heating fuel costs rise over the next few months, this will have a greater impact on the decision to upgrade windows.

HipKat

#4 Post by HipKat »

There was a nice story in the Buffalo News a few weeks ago, titled Making Window Selection al itle cleare, where it mentions that some windows could result in up to 40% of heat los in a home, and that replacing al residential windows in the US would save up to 7 billion dollars. There's a quote from an industry expert that says that we can expect anywhere from a 16 - 25% increase in home heating costs this year. (which actually is about the avereage increase in this area anyhow)