Magic Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cristine

Magic Windows

#1 Post by cristine »

Is anyone familar with Magic Windows? I really like the idea of a disappearing screen when the window is closed and they look like very nice windows. How do they compare in quality to Anlin Windows? Currently these two are my top choices, although I'm open to others. I live in Southern California.
Thanks for any info.

WindDoze

Magic Windows

#2 Post by WindDoze »

Christine,
I worked for a company several years ago that sold Magic Windows here in MN. The important thing is the installation, the hardware is such that the opening has to be 100% perfectly square in order for it to work properly. (This sounds simple, but it often takes an extra set of steps especially in an older house.) Good Luck!

cristine

#3 Post by cristine »

WindDoze,
Thank you so much for your reply. I truly appreciate it. It sounds like the installation is especially important for Magic Windows. They said they take the original frame down to the wooden opening to put the new window in. They also said that stucco damage is not a problem because any damage will be patched then covered with exterior wood or vinyl trim. Hmm, really not sure if this makes sense to me, I thought stucco damage was a huge factor when considering retro fit vs. new construction. The Magic Windows sound like new construction to this lay person. Any opinion when comparing the Magic Windows to Anlin Catalina windows?
Thanks!

WindDoze

#4 Post by WindDoze »

I have to apologize because I'm not familiar enough with Anlin to comment on them. Also we used to install the Magic Window as a replacement in the existing frame -- so I know it is possible. However, doing it as a full frame replacement, as your contractor is proposing certainly will make for a better (and more expensive) installation.

Regarding the stucco damage -- they do have to cut back your stucco a bit to take out your old nailing fins -- this is what they are going to cover up with the wood trim boards. If they do it right it should look ok, but it will look different from your current exterior. We usually advise customers who are looking at a full frame installation that the interior will look almost identical to their current interior; no lost glass space, all new interior woodwork etc., but the exterior will look slightly different.

cristine

#5 Post by cristine »

WindDoze,
Again, thank you for taking the time to respond. You have been quite helpful. It sounds like the Magic Windows is a very fair deal because the estimates are roughly the same (Anlin vs. Magic ) Anlin being a retro fit and Magic being new construction. The Magic Window installation also includes adding interior molding. This appeals to me because I currently have old aluminum windows surrounded by plain old dry wall.

I'd like to ask one more question, if you don't mind. Since you have installed vinyl windows and have probably seem many types, do you think Magic Windows are a quality window? One thing that concerns me is that they seem much harder to open and close than the other vinyl windows I've looked at. It's as if the insulating strip (have no idea if that is what it's called) is too thick. And who knows how long the retracting screens will last. They don't look easily replaceable to me. I know it really depends on where you live and what features are important to you. I basically want a quality window that is going to function well for many years, is easy to clean, and has a good warranty. Any window company can promise the moon, but I'd value the word of someone who knows the business over what one salesman tells me! They are all the best, just ask them! Thanks again for you input :D
Cristine

WindDoze

#6 Post by WindDoze »

Christine,

Here's my overall opinion about the Magic Window -- its good but not great -- provided its installed correctly. If they aren't installed right they are a pain. The company I used to work for that sold them had a lot of service calls because when they first started selling them the installers put them in just like any other replacement window and the Parallex hardware didn't operate correctly. The screen looks like a neat feature when you first look at it, but think about this -- you have your windows open and the screens pulled out on a real buggy night, when you decide to close the window you have to retract the screen to pull the window closed. Where do the bugs go? Right into the house. The screen can be replaced very easily -- its in a self contained roll that is in a pocket inside the mainframe.

I live in MN where energy efficiency is a big deal -- there are a lot of windows out there that are better than Magic with that regard. Personally I'm a Schuco dealer, there is a lot of info on these boards about them. I also have installed a lot of Simonton windows in the past, and I know that they are readily available in CA. Have you looked into them at all?

cristine

#7 Post by cristine »

Hi again WindDoze,
I can't thank you enough for your insight. I did not know Schuco or Simonton were available in Southern California, but I've seen them mentioned on these boards. I'll definately look into these. You have been a great help to me. Thank you very much!
Cristine

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windoze meant that Simonton were available in CA. Schuco are not as of now.

cristine

#9 Post by cristine »

Thanks Window4U!
Cristine

rhfjr

Magic Window

#10 Post by rhfjr »

Cristine,

What company did you decide? Magic or Anlin?