Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fiberglass Windows: Marvin vs. Milgard
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:27 pm 

Help! Has anyone had any experience with the Milgard fiberglass windows? I am looking to replace some very old windows in my 1920s home and am looking for something classic. I have purchased a couple Marvin Infinity windows for upstairs - but these bad boys are expensive and don't seem to come with classic styles of hardware (only white/beige contemporart locks and pulls);although their lines are very nice.

In my search, I have found Milgard fiberglass windows - which seem very similar to the Marvin, except they have the option of a classic locking mechanism in brass and hand pull in brass too.

Another issue is the downstairs where I have very dark stained wood trim. I need a window which I can stain and the fiberglass outside and wood interior - the Marvin/Milgard fits the bill - only the Marvin's hardware would stick out like a sore thumb. Yes, looks are important too as I will have to look at these things day in and out - but I also want energy efficiency. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Fiberglass Windows: Marvin vs. Milgard
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:02 pm 

Yes. They are a hefty window, hate putting them in and out of the truck, with quite a few options.

They are not cheap, especially if you are considering a wood interior. Be prepared to fork over some dough.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:51 pm 

Are the Milgard fiberglass windows more or less expensive than the Marvin Infinity? Any difference in quality/craftsmanship?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:58 pm 

I don't sell Marvin (they are sold through dealerships) so I can really tell you for sure on the price comparison.

On the quality issue, I would say that they are comparable now. The Milgards had some issues before that have been addressed and corrected.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:38 pm 

So my options seem very limited as I live in NY and I cannot even purchase Millgard. Anyway, I now have two questions.

1. How does wood clad aluminum compare to vinyl? Does one insulate better than the other? I live in NY and need something to keep the heat in the winter and cool during the summer.

2. Any suggestions for a wood veneer window? I know Thermal Industries makes one (Dream Wood II), but I really can't find too much info on these guys - especially reviews of people who have had these windows installed (perhaps b/c no one likes them?).

Any info would be great! Thanks :)