Impact/hurricane glass- Andersen v. Marvin v. Pella

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
beachmouse

Impact/hurricane glass- Andersen v. Marvin v. Pella

#1 Post by beachmouse »

So we're finally kicking off a long-discussed remodeling plan this year, and part of that is windows and exterior doors. We're in Florida and while we're up north and don't have as strict of a building code as other parts of the state, I like the idea of something that's Miami-Dade compliant, and it would be nice not to have to feel like we've got to board up unless it's an utter OMG! Category 6! sort of scenario.

Had been leaning towards the Andersen 400 Stormwhatever series, but then the spousal unit picked up Consumer Reports and saw Marvin getting top marks, and now we're second-guessing a little.

Anyone have experience with that kind of product they can share?

Thanks!

buddy110

Re: Impact/hurricane glass- Andersen v. Marvin v. Pella

#2 Post by buddy110 »

If your comparing Andersen, Marvin and Pell there's no contest. Marvin is the best choice.

TLHWINDOWS

#3 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

I always found it odd what Miami Dade approves and what they do not.

But if you want an MD approved window, there are a few good ones out there.

Expand your search a little more too. I carry PGT and have several windows that meet the MD approval, and typically for less than a Marvin. I also carry some windows that have the same structual Large Missle impact that a MD window has, but is not Dade complient.

Also, as far as I know, and have checked, Marvin only carries their Casement, Awning and Picture windows for HVHZ. Same for Anderson (Unless they are selling you a different window)

PGT carries Double Hung and Single Hung windows and the rest.

Custom Window Systems is a good company, they carry Single hungs and pictures and more that meet code.

beachmouse

#4 Post by beachmouse »

Thanks! Is there a engineering/structural reason why a casement window seems easier to approve than a single/double pane window? Do the greater number of pieces involved offer weak points or something compared to a single large piece of glass in a casement?

TLHWINDOWS

#5 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Casements in general seal better than a standard DH or SH window because they have mechanisms the pull the sash and lock it.

Easier to get approval in any situation.

I service the panhandle and have some experience with most of the brands, so any questions just ask.

Bill

#6 Post by Bill »

A casement & awning window sash overlaps its mainframe on the outside and the frame can handle the impact of the missile so it’s just a matter glazing the .090 laminate glass in the glazing channel so it remains intact with the frame.

The HVHZ test requires a direct hit at the meeting rail of a double hung window; some DH windows have a problem with this.

TLHWINDOWS

#7 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

I've see a lot of windows survive that though (via video). A friend of mine said they shoot them twice, but I don't honestly know. I am not part of that business.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

It is two (2) 2x4 strikes.