Are low e windows noticably darker?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Mr_CE

Are low e windows noticably darker?

#1 Post by Mr_CE »

When looking out through low e windows, will they appear noticeably darker than clear windows? Will the inside of the home be darker?

Thanks for you feedback.

Windows on Washington

Re: Are low e windows noticably darker?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Noticeably is a relative term to the observed. Yes the windows will have a tint (especially if you have something like 3 coat low-e) and yes the home will be darker....warmer as well in the winter and cooler in the summer.

Life is all about trade offs.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Most people don't notice the difference ...even with triple pane.
People go from dirty old windows with storm windows over them to a brand new window and they feel they have more light than they had before.

brwqb

#4 Post by brwqb »

I have triple pane windows with lo-e. I can tell the difference compare to my cheap builders grade window, but I am still really happy with my decision.

micman82

#5 Post by micman82 »

To this observer, they were a bit darker but not obnoxiously so. ie they didn't make my 1970s 4-level (not exactly light) feel any darker.

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

The darkness is more noticible from the outside looking in than from the inside looking out. If you have a sample window, set it in an exterior doorway and look from inside and out and you will see what I mean. There are always trade-offs but I think it's less of a real problem than many people make it out to be.

Tru_blue

#7 Post by Tru_blue »

No they're not *noticeably* darker, but here's some actual statistics of the visible light transmission through the center of a window with double strength glass:

81% Double glazed, clear glass

75% Double glazed, single coat of Low E

72% Double glazed, double coat of Low E

66% Double glazed, triple coat of Low E

Most people are unaware that clear glass actually blocks out almost 20% of the daylight. It would be hard for them to discern that Low E typically blocks out another 6% to 9% if they can't even notice the 19% from the clear glass.

I once heard that the glass in automobiles is approximately 60% visible light transmission when it is not tinted. I've never seen that confirmed in print though. Anyone?

Shopper in CO

#8 Post by Shopper in CO »

Window4U (IL) wrote:Most people don't notice the difference ...even with triple pane.
People go from dirty old windows with storm windows over them to a brand new window and they feel they have more light than they had before.
Have you been peeking at my current windows? :oops:

Seriously, I have a 2 story house with old double pane windows that have lost their seals, and with storm windows. It is impossible to clean the inside of the storm windows without taking them out-a difficult proposition. Plus, I have to get on a ladder to clean all of the 2nd story windows (and a few of the 1st story windows).

As a result, I am not worrying too much about how much light my new windows will let in. I figure it has to be better than three panes of moderately filthy glass on my old ones.

Lynn

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

No they're not *noticeably* darker,
So as I sit here looking at an I.G. of clear double pane glass and an I.G. of LowE glass the noticeable difference I'm noticing isn't noticeable? :lol:

I get your point and I do agree with you that it is amusing when you visit a homeowner who hasn't cleaned their windows for 20 years that they suddenly become concerned about reducing the amount of light coming in their home by installing new windows with LowE glass.
Last edited by Skydawggy on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Will91

#10 Post by Will91 »

This post caught my eye since when I last talked to Simonton the other day about my low e choices, I was told the Cardinal 366 upgrade glass that can be ordered does appear to have a slight tint.

But what I'm really struggling with is whether or not I should upgrade to the 366 glass. I was considering the 366 upgrade on the south and west facing windows but perhaps the 272 default glass is adequate. Right now my windows (circa 1990 vintage) probably don't have any low e coating. It gets toasty on the south side and west side in the summer here in Colorado, but we enjoy the warmth in the winter. Would the standard 272 be a good compromise? That way I might still get a little solar heat gain in the winter without knocking it way down, but probably notice a substantial reduction in the heat gain in the summer. Plus, I'm not sure I like the idea of the tinted appearance of the 366. Thoughts??

Tru_blue

#11 Post by Tru_blue »

Will91 wrote: Would the standard 272 be a good compromise? That way I might still get a little solar heat gain in the winter without knocking it way down . . . Plus, I'm not sure I like the idea of the tinted appearance of the 366. Thoughts??
The 272 would be the better choice if you would like "a little solar heat gain." But it would be only a little. The solar heat gain coefficient of clear double glazed is .76, a single coat of Low E (LoE-178)is .72, and Lo-E272 drops it all the way down to .41. That's a pretty big drop. The 366 drops it even further to a SHGC of .27. For fading, the 272 blocks 84% of the UV rays and the 366 blocks a whopping 95%.

I like the 366 better, but as you mentioned, the 272 would be a good compromise if you would like a little solar heat gain.

dutch

#12 Post by dutch »

Will91 wrote:This post caught my eye since when I last talked to Simonton the other day about my low e choices, I was told the Cardinal 366 upgrade glass that can be ordered does appear to have a slight tint.

But what I'm really struggling with is whether or not I should upgrade to the 366 glass. I was considering the 366 upgrade on the south and west facing windows but perhaps the 272 default glass is adequate. Right now my windows (circa 1990 vintage) probably don't have any low e coating. It gets toasty on the south side and west side in the summer here in Colorado, but we enjoy the warmth in the winter. Would the standard 272 be a good compromise? That way I might still get a little solar heat gain in the winter without knocking it way down, but probably notice a substantial reduction in the heat gain in the summer. Plus, I'm not sure I like the idea of the tinted appearance of the 366. Thoughts??
I can't believe it gets so hot in Colorado that the 366 would be something you would miss. However, if you are bothered by what you call a "tinted appearance", I would think you would always have regrets about having to live with that. In the end, windows are there to look out of; feeling uncomfortable with that would be a trajedy after all the work you have put into finding a window brand.