OKNA Windows, U-Factor .15

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
WindowEDU

OKNA Windows, U-Factor .15

#1 Post by WindowEDU »

Anyone have ANY experience with Okna windows, Model#500 or Starmark? Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

krypton

Re: OKNA Windows, U-Factor .15

#2 Post by krypton »

Okna is supposed to be a good window but again,these low U-factors can be somewhat manipulated. that said, OKNA is a good window. when looking at U-factor it is equally as important to ask yourself what U-factor the window will render in a few years. i say this because most windows experience a certain level of gas leakage(i.e., krypton argon). there are a few windows who supposedly have glazing systems that are almost guaranteed not to fail. are these claims substantiated? no,but they are claims nonetheless and seem to have at least some merit.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

The spacer system that Okna uses is used by several other high end manufacturers, Soft-Lite to name one off the top of my head, and that is what gave me some reassurance about that spacer system.

Other than that, it appears to be a very well built window.

WindowEDU

#4 Post by WindowEDU »

Krypton and WOW thanks for the info.
Have either one of you sold or installed the product?
WOW, I met with our soft-lite rep yesterday and he told us that the duralite spacer really isn't proven yet. He did'nt really seem to push it, maybe because the cost is more than the super spacer we've been buying in the Imperial LS.
I'd really love to here from someone that has installed, sold or have had OKNA windows in their home. I really want the best products for our clients that are the most energy efficient, easy to operate AND dependable.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

My favorite spacer design is the TPS as well, but in terms of edge of glass performance, the Duralite seems to have good numbers.

The Starmark is an attractive window and has some nice features to it that bridge the aesthetics gap between wood and vinyl. I think it is worth taking a look at for you. We like it and have had zero problems with it to date.

WindowInfo

#6 Post by WindowInfo »

The Okna Starmark is made from Cellunar Composite which is much thicker and stronger then vinyl. We been having no problems with the Starmark. All around its a great window. :D

WindowInfo

#7 Post by WindowInfo »

It has a weld line. I asked a lot of manufactures about the shadow groove most of them said that it could weaken the weld and prefer not to do it.

WindowEDU

#8 Post by WindowEDU »

Does the starmark operate up & down fairly smooth?
Do your installers like installing the starmark? I imagine with triple pane you'd need a crane to move um.
I felt just the weight of the cut away and was quite impressed, They look like a really solid window.
Its just that we are VERY cautious when we take on a NEW manufacturer. We have a passion for windows, and our clients are everything to us. Thanks once again for all the feedback, its great!

WindowInfo

#9 Post by WindowInfo »

We sell a couple different brands of windows. The Okna Starmark is a smooth window to operate and my installers seem to like it. The thickness of the Cellunar Composite is a big plus, very sturdy window. Also like the balancer system better then the constant force.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

It is very easy to sell against or for the weld shadow groove.

The Starmark does not have bulky welds so it shows very well regardless. The composite is a glorified PVC as it is really a cellular PVC. I make the comparison to a the bone of a bird that has significant strength while minimized impact on overall weight. The composite accomplishes roughly the same thing with the thick porous extrusions.

A triple pane in the Starmark is heavy but nothing that is too difficult to manage. The glass always represents a bulk of the weight.

You can easily negate the selling benefit of a steel reinforcement with the Starmark.

Balance system is smooth and the quality control of Okna is very good.

Stainable/paintable interior is an option as well. Looks very attractive when paired with the brushed nickle hardware.

WindowInfo

#11 Post by WindowInfo »

I sell a few different brands of windows. I use to sell the Schuco before they went out of business. I took a picture of the the Schuco sample directly from my display case. I'm not saying that Schuco is a bad window but the original poster wants some information on the OKNA Starmark and Schuco. This just shows the difference in thickness between a Vinyl window and the Cellular Composite window. Cellular is a better insulator then vinyl.

Last edited by WindowInfo on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#12 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The Softlite Elements has a DP70 (203mph) hurricane rating , (the Elements also has a .15 u-value). .....What is the Starmark DP rating since we're comparing strength? Just curious.
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Skydawggy

#13 Post by Skydawggy »

At what point is a window frame and sash extrusion strong enough to function well without being overkill? This reminds me of the arguement about whether we need 10ft of insulation in our attics or whether 15ft. is better.

WindowEDU

#14 Post by WindowEDU »

Not sure of the DP rating for the starmark window but I'll try to find out today and let ya know. Although it sounds to me like your pretty sold on schuco which I respect completley.

Krypton, since your a schuco man could you tell me what the whole window u-factor is on there premium product? Another question, I was told that the plant in SC isn't even opening till Febuary 2009. Are they manufacturing product now?

New name is ForceV Enviromental?
We ARE also considering the Schuco/ForceV. From past research it seems to me schuco had a first-rate product. Love the concept of the european design tilt & turn and french casement, UNIQUE offering. Heard some concerns on length of time to receive product and how long it took to get re-makes on sashes. When your an exclusive window dealer like we are the fine DETAILS are critical. We are the ONLY company in our region that ONLY does WINDOWS and nothing else. We're looking forward to an OUTSTANDING 2009. 08 wasn't GREAT but we STILL finished about 9% above 07. I wish upon all, a blessed and prosperous NEW YEAR.

WindowInfo

#15 Post by WindowInfo »

The Schuco extrusion picture is not from Starmark. I took it personally from my Schuco demo kit.
Last edited by WindowInfo on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.