Simonton Prism Platinum(upgraded) vs. Softlite Bainbridge

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Helpplease

Simonton Prism Platinum(upgraded) vs. Softlite Bainbridge

#1 Post by Helpplease »

I am looking to install 24 windows in my home. The current windows are original (1941) metal frames brick exterior. I have narrowed my choices down to two windows. The Simonton Prism Platinum with 1 inch glass and super spacer (upgrades $9000 installed), against the Soft-lite Bainbridge Low-E Argon($8400 installed). I was told from Soft-lite dealer which are Installation Masters that I could leave part of metal frames in as to not damage brick exterior and marble sills on inside. All other dealers wanted to remove entire metal frame. I need help deciding which window and which method of install.

HomeSealed

Re: Simonton Prism Platinum(upgraded) vs. Softlite Bainbridge

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Either install method could be correct depending on specific circumstances. The Bainbridge, while one of SL's entry level offerings, still should beat the Simonton when it comes to objective, measurable areas.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1, not a big fan of frame jumping., some would depend on wall thickness.

Helpplease

#4 Post by Helpplease »

Just had an energy audit done and thermal camera shows air leakage around metal pan. Is it best to remove entire window? Or will caulk on the inside will fix this problem?

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Either installation method is acceptable and will solve that problem if done properly. That said, full-frame removal is a superior option. Whether or not it is worth the added expense depends on multiple variables.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

A picture would help.
Is it aluminum or steel windows?
Is there a panning system ?
thewindownerd.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Helpplease wrote:Just had an energy audit done and thermal camera shows air leakage around metal pan. Is it best to remove entire window? Or will caulk on the inside will fix this problem?
If it is a steel pan window, complete removal is ideal to properly get the entire opening sealed back up and to eliminate the large thermal bridge.