need help with a list of questions to ask window companies

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jonathag

need help with a list of questions to ask window companies

#1 Post by jonathag »

I'm going to be going to 5 or 6 different places next week shopping for windows. Can someone (or more than one) person help me out with a list of questions I need to be asking? I know this is a very general questions but I need the help so I can just get a list of questions together so I can ask each company the same questions so I can have something to compare the different companies with.

JScott

Re: need help with a list of questions to ask window companies

#2 Post by JScott »

You should check out Angies'List. You should also attend the Home and Remodeling Expo next weekend(1-9, 10, 11) at the convention center before you drive all over town.

Before you go selecting products and companies you need to take a look at what you are replacing as not every product works well in all situations, e.g., full frame and insert.

Keep in mind on this board that what works in Chicago may be overkill for your area and a standard in Washington DC may be taboo in Portland, OR and none of the windows typically sold in your area can be used in coastal regions unless modified or upgraded, etc...

Instead of a general list of questions you should detail your specific needs and weigh the responses to meeting your specific needs.

jonathag

#3 Post by jonathag »

Thanks, where is Angie's list located?

I guess my only need is a more energy efficient window. I have no other problems with my 30 year old aluminum frame windows other than that.

I'm only thinking of replacing them for the lack of energy efficiency and because alot of them won't open in the spring/summer/fall so we can't enjoy the outdoors much with our current windows.

Any window will give me those two things, so the only thing I could come up with was to get a good list together and drive to some places and compare everybody's windows. I don't have any more specific needs other than those two.

Thanks for the heads up on the expo next weekend.

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

angieslist.com

Also check out dsireusa.org as KY has a better tax credit than the fed for window replacement and you will be able to enjoy both.

fhi windows

#5 Post by fhi windows »

I would also suggest Angie's list over randomly driving around looking for replacement windows. Same goes for randomly calling people from the phone book or Googling "replacement windows [your town]".

On a side note, hopefully you are not going to have 5-6 in home window presentations........from 30 minutes to 3 hours each..brew a big pot of coffee! :D

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I get really tired of people suggesting Angie's List sometimes. No offense to either of you guys as I know it is a pretty good source of reviews on companies, however, Angie's List makes all their money from the advertisers and in this case, that is the company.

All the banner ads are big bucks and if you look at Angie's List, they give very little weight to those people that don't have work done by the contractor. While I agree with that, there are several "Hard" Sell companies out there that really pressure the customer and leave them with a bad experience, however, their report is only viewed as secondary. Seems to me that if a company insults you during the estimation process, that is worthy of a full weight report.

fhi windows

#7 Post by fhi windows »

Windows on Washington wrote:I get really tired of people suggesting Angie's List sometimes. No offense to either of you guys as I know it is a pretty good source of reviews on companies, however, Angie's List makes all their money from the advertisers and in this case, that is the company.

All the banner ads are big bucks and if you look at Angie's List, they give very little weight to those people that don't have work done by the contractor. While I agree with that, there are several "Hard" Sell companies out there that really pressure the customer and leave them with a bad experience, however, their report is only viewed as secondary. Seems to me that if a company insults you during the estimation process, that is worthy of a full weight report.
You are correct about the banner ads, $500 plus only covers about half of my small market so I opted not to pay their fee. The whole "pay to be at the top of the list" is corrupt by nature.......I could go on and on about how it's not a perfect business model. On the other hand I still feel that it is a better source than randomly selecting contractors.

This site has a neat idea with the request quote avatars, the window shoppers can view your past posts and get a feel for how you conduct business before they waste time having a half dozen random window sales people in their homes. If any of you that are using this service have any feedback--please contact me, I'm looking into using it.

jsmomo

#8 Post by jsmomo »

I have to agree with wow on angie's list what is the membership all about from a consumer standpoint. You shouldn't have to pay to get info. about a company or to get a quote on your windows. But i would check you local home show.

JScott

#9 Post by JScott »

Angies list is a tool for consumers. The cost for a monthly membership in my area is $1.50. The information you can gain for the cost of less than a cup of coffee may be helpful to the consumer. Albeit it may be swayed in advertisements it is what it is.

I also believe there is an area for just estimates, promptness, timeliness, etc...