What are the top window brands for the self-installer?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
PigInAPoke

What are the top window brands for the self-installer?

#1 Post by PigInAPoke »

Which brands of vinyl replacement windows are the most energy efficient and can be purchased "over the counter" for the self-installer?

windowsnj

Re: What are the top window brands for the self-installer?

#2 Post by windowsnj »

pig-from your posts im trying to understand whether you are a homeowner looking for windows or a window company owner looking for education. i have been looking to help you out since october of last year, but im not following your though process on selecting a window and doing the job.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

PigInAPoke wrote:Which brands of vinyl replacement windows are the most energy efficient and can be purchased "over the counter" for the self-installer?
In your area Cardinal Building Products is one of the biggest window-siding suppliers and they make their own vinyl windows. But, I would not suggest self install in your case unless you have some experience in installing windows. Properly ordering, installing, and wrapping trapezoids is not a normal DIY project.

PigInAPoke

#4 Post by PigInAPoke »

windowsnj,

I am a homeowner. I bought a home that is a total gut rehab. One of my brothers who has been in the construction trade for over 10 years is helping me remodel it. I want to replace 3 traps and 2 Two-Lite sliders in the kitchen. Then I want to replace 2 traps and 4 picture windows in the family room. Initially, I my goal was to find the BEST (both in numbers and in looks) double pane window I could find and have them installed. So I started researching. I have looked at Anderson, Champion, Gorell, Pella, Soft-Lite, Sunrise and Window World. I have been to Home Depot and Lowe's. I considered Okna, Starmark and Force V Environmental (formerly Shuco) but from what I can tell they are not available in St. Louis. I narrowed my search then started getting bids. After showing the bids to my brother he thought we could save a lot of money if we simply installed the windows ourselves so I then started researching "over the counter" windows. And that is where we are now. So now I am looking for the BEST vinyl replacement windows we can install ourselves. I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if it does not.

windowsnj

#5 Post by windowsnj »

that answers my question, thanks. i dont know if you will ever find the BEST window, because what really constitutes the best. you may find that a window may have the best rating in 1 category but not the next. as far as looks go that is up to YOU as you have to live with them, not anyone else on this board. From my years in this business, i feel you cant go wrong with top of the line Simonton or gorell, if you are looking for a pure vinyl. okna starmark is not vinyl nor is the anderson renewal or most of the rest of the anderson line or pella with the exception of their therma-star line wich is garbage. stay away from the big box retailers, save your time and breath, my advice to you would be to go to your local high end window company/contractor ask if you can buy the window from them...of course after their mark-up which you should pay with a smile as they are doing you the favor(supply only) have your brother install them and work on the next project your new rehab home has.

taser

#6 Post by taser »

windowsnj is on the money. pay the extra for a good window. ONA,GORELL,PARK AVE,SOFT LITE(elements).
too many people are concerned with "the best deal" rather than the best window. people will spend thousands of dollarsnew furniture but go the cheap route on windows whic are one of the more important projects for a home. makes no sense. buy cheap and let the seals fail in 4 or 5 years and go look for cheap windows again or blame the contractor.