Upstairs or Downstairs First

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tonka10

Upstairs or Downstairs First

#1 Post by tonka10 »

I have a 70 year old house that has 20 old double hung single pane windows.

Based on the quotes, I am looking at breaking the project up into two jobs. 10 windows at a time. Would it be better to do the downstairs or the upstairs windows first?. Is there a difference?. Most people I ask say downstairs. I am looking to save on heating, as opposed to cooling.

Also, I am deciding between two windows the Bryn Mar II by Certainteed and Seabrook by Great Lakes. Both contractors are very experienced and highly recommended, but the Bryn Mar II's are about $1000 less than Seabrook. Any thoughts?

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Tonka10, I would suggest doing the area where you spend most of your time. This will at least give you a comfort area where the entire family will notice the change. I'd probably suggest the lower level as this is where most of your time is spent. The upper level is probably used more as a sleeping area. I myself like the colder area for sleeping, you sleep better. Although I'd be happy with a pillow and blanket in a snow bank here in MN any day. I'm part Polar Bear! If on the other hand you want more comfort in your sleeping area then go upstairs. In either case your home won't get the full effect until you get them all replaced any how. So it's really a coin toss. As for which window, I'd lean towards the Bryn Mar II because I know of this window. The Seabrook isn't a window I know much of.